xref update, but don't want to update in all drawings

Bennymac777

I use a building key for building reference (inserted as a xref into the individual drawings) in many of my drawings. I have layers for specific areas and rooms. I turn off the layers on the appropriate drawings (if the drawing is for room 301, I make sure all other layers are off and only 301 are on).

My problem come when I add a new layer to the key and since the key in xrefd into many drawings it shows up as always being on.

This makes to have to go back and do a little bit of layer control each time I change the xref.

Is there a way to help this? VISRETAIN=1 only keeps the layers set to last save and everything added to the xrefs are basically taken from the xref (color, visibility, etc). Is there a way to set a variable so that you have to check the new xref layers before they show up on the referenced drawing?

Yeah this is what I have been doing. I guess I was hoping to find a command or variable that did more than notify, but that seems like I am asking for too much.