How can I create a tag to show the height at the centre of the pipe?

KathleenMEP

I'm working on our first Revit project at the moment.

I want to create an annotation tag that will show the height of the pipe at the centre. I can find how to tag the inverted elevation and I've tried spot elevation but I can't figure out the centre.

I just want it to show the height you select under "offset" when drawing the pipes.

I'm sure there must be a really simple way of doing this (I hope) that I just can't find. :?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KathleenMEP

• RobDraw

• Lee Roy

• Dadgad

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm surprised you haven't gotten any feedback on this thread yet.

Surely there will be a more REVIT appropriate solution, which I can't help you with specifically.

If I wanted to do something like this in Autocad Vanilla, I would probably create an MTEXT item,

and insert a field into it, which would access the information from the selected object.

Hi Dadgad, thanks for replying.

I have tried creating a tag, but when I insert the label and it comes up with a list of fields I can choose from the only one I can see is inverted elevation, which I think is the bottom of the pipe. If I select the pipe though it does tell me the offset height, I just find a way of putting that information into a tag.

I did try searching forums and Googling but I can't find anything, I wonder if you can't do it because there isn't a need for it?

I'm sure there will be a way to do it.

One of the Revit users will come along eventually, and be able to help you. :)

Are there tool palettes in Revit, if so check there, on ANNOTATION perhaps?

I'm new to Revit also. There is an option for "Start Offset" but if your pipes are sloped and you are looking for a spot elevation that is not going to do it.

Sorry I didn't see this topic earlier. We had the same need at my current employer...

If your pipe is sloped, you will run into issues. Start Offset is the height at one end. End Offset is the height at the other end. To get the middle requires a formula.

You need to create a shared parameter with the formula: =(Start Offset + End Offset)/2

...then assign that parameter as your field for the tag.

If your pipe is sloped, you will run into issues. Start Offset is the height at one end. End Offset is the height at the other end. To get the middle requires a formula.

You need to create a shared parameter with the formula: =(Start Offset + End Offset)/2

...then assign that parameter as your field for the tag.

That would give you the average offset of a sloped pipe. Not sure how that would be useful.

That would give you the average offset of a sloped pipe. Not sure how that would be useful.

She needs the height at the center of the pipe, correct? Lowest offset plus highest offset divided by two gives the offset (height) at the center of the sloped pipe. The exact center is the mean of the two ends; simple algebra.

This can be furthered by adding or subtracting half of the diameter (the radius) of the pipe to get the top or bottom elevation, respectively.

Unless I'm misunderstanding her need?

I seems that the OP needed the center of the pipe as opposed to the invert, which gives the elevation of the bottom of the pipe at a specific location. It seems that she is not dealing with sloped pipe so getting just the start offset (which is the center of the pipe and is the same for the entire length) suited her needs. What I don't know how to do is to get the center elevation (offset) of a sloped pipe at a specific location.

I understand it suits her needs now, but that is the solution for her or anyone else that may end up with sloped pipe. Most any piping system has sloped pipe in it somewhere be it condensate drains, sanitary sewer, steam condensate return, etc.

After about 5-10 minutes of quick looking, I don't see how to solve your need without splitting the pipe and taking the invert elevation plus radius ::: =(Invert Elevation + (Outer Diameter / 2))

Edited by Lee Roy

I've set up multiple tags to show the start middle and end heights now. That's all bases covered and we can see what works best as the project goes along.

At the moment I'm tagging pipes that don't slope, but I've got pipes that do slope next on the list, a task that seemed pretty daunting yesterday. But I'm going to try your parameter formulas Lee Roy and hopefully I'll be able to get it working.

Revit really will make things so much easier... once it's all set up.

Thanks for both your replies RobDraw & Lee Roy.

Is there a way to tag the height at a pipe fitting?

I have a pipe to tag that due to the services around it, needs to go in a sort of S shape. I was hoping to tag the height at each bend.

I set up a tag using the label "offsetheight" but when I tag the fitting I just get a question mark. I have tried using the spot elevation on the pipe and can get the centre of the sloping pipe (thanks Lee Roy) but the fitting height would be ideal.

If I put a spot elevation at the end of each pipe going into the fitting I'm getting different heights. One I've just tried for example gave me 3186mm going in then 3190mm coming out the other side of the bend. So the pipe fitting height should 3188mm I'm guessing. I don't know if there's way to set up a forumla to work that out and show that in the tag?

I get the same thing. You could make a tag that will pick up the comment and manually enter the elevation in the comment for the parts. Lee may have a better solution when he comes around.