Need feedback for ordering new computer for autocad use

gbelous

OK, tell him you want an i7 based Precision. They offer those at Dell. Look at the Precision T1650.

I think your IT guy is full of sh*t myself on the benchmark comment. Sure the precision will have some better components that is a given but I don't think that makes the other junk. Good luck friend.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gbelous

• f700es

• ReMark

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got another system that's $1000 cheaper than the first one i posted. I just have to research the graphics card because it's not on the "certified" list from Autodesk. Any feedback on this set up and how it compares to the first one?

XPS 8500

3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3770 processor 3.40 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.90 GHz

32GB Dual Channel DDR3 1600MHz 4 DIMMS

Dell KB213 Wired Multimedia Keyboard, US-English

No Monitor

AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB DDR5

Dell SRV Software 1703

256GB SSD SRT enhancement +2TB SATA Hard Drive 7200 RPM

XPS 8500, White Chassis w/19:1 media card reader

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, English, No Media

Dell USB 6-Button Laser Mouse

Integrated 10/100/1000 Ethernet

Adobe Acrobat Reader

16X DVD+/-RW

Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio 4

No Speaker Requested

Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth v4.0+LE

US Power Cord

Localization parts-English/French

XPS localiztaoin parts (power cord, documents, ship material)

SHIP,XPS,L10,FXCN,8500,DAO

McAfee 11, 15 Month

Dell Resource DVD with Application Backup

Additional Software

No PDVD

Microsoft Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word and Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook

Dell Limited Hardware Warranty, Initial Year

ProSupport: Next Business Day Parts and Labor Onsite Response Initial Year

No Warranty beyond 1 year

ProSupport: 7x24 Technical Support, Initial Year

I like the CPU on this one better than the other. You can always ask to have the Fire Pro in this one instead of the Radeon HD. I would get a bit more warranty though but you should be OK with this for a while

yeah i will look to see what other options there are for the graphics card. but the 1 year warranty is the only one that comes with the xps from what he said. not sure why or if a better one could be purchased

not sure at all why he says he can only get one year but i'll ask. and if he can pick any graphics card, any suggestions? or is any that is on the certified list a good option, as long as it doesn't increase the price too much.

I think an nVidia card would be best. I can't tell the difference between my GF GT430 at home and my Quadro FX 580 here at work. The benchmark test I linked too at the start of this thread gave my home card better scores than my work card.

ok, i will ask him what other cards are available, i'm not sure if he has a direct contact he goes through or if he uses the website and just customizes the machines on there. i tried that but couldn't get the exact specs, but only the 7870 and another radeon were choices.