How to create a detail view in Autocad?

zmarcoz

Dear all,

I need to create detail views in a 2d layout drawing. What I mean is that a 'zoomed' view inside a "circle". The view magnifies the specific part of a drawing, but the dimension value keep the same. What command should I use?

Please help. Thanks

I would suggest that you watch this short video, it is very well done.

http://www.infiniteskills.com/demos/movie-player.php?h=685&w=890&movie=http://iskills-media.s3.amazonaws.com/autocad2011beg-demo/0310.mp4

You will be interested in adding a VIEWPORT, or perhaps more in your Paperspace. :)

If you open your VIEWPORT toolbar, you will see the numerous commands associated with them.

In order to create a CIRCULAR viewport you will want to use the OBJECT commandline option, while creating a new viewport.

Create your viewport on a special LAYER, which should be set as a NONPRINTING LAYER.

Please watch the video, lots of good information there.

Whoever is in charge, and has made that decision?

Shouldn't be, and is doing the company a great disservice. :|

You can copy the part of the drawing, of which you wish to create a detail,

and use the SCALE command to make it larger, then MOVE it to wherever you need it.

No matter HOW your company standards indicate it should be done,

you would do well to watch the video link in my earlier post, in fact

that whole set of them might be helpful, and understand that the techniques

taught are generally accepted to be best practices.

When the time comes for you to need or want to work somewhere else

you will be woefully ill-prepared, and unemployable if you don't.

Better you know now, than later. :)

Edited by Dadgad

Thanks. My company draws all stuff in paper space, and nothing in model space. What If I want to magnify the drawing which only exist in paper space?

There is no easy way then (viewports which require everything to be drawn in model space are the easy way). As Dadgad said, you will just have to copy the part you want to show larger and scale it up. The bad part about this is if the design changes later you will need to update both the original and the copy now (separately).

My company draws all stuff in paper space, and nothing in model space.

Wow, stupidity at it's best.. :?

Model space - "Model" items at a 1:1 scale.

Paper space - Detail drawings & create viewports that are printed to "paper"

Thanks. My company draws all stuff in paper space, and nothing in model space. What If I want to magnify the drawing which only exist in paper space?

I find this rather hard to believe. I'm going to guess that this is a case of inexperience. Attach an example file here and someone will show you how it should be done.

Solution: Old school way. Use the scale command, scale the objects up then dimension them. Set up a separate dimension style that uses the appropriate scale factor so when you do add your dimensions AutoCAD calculates them correctly.

• 10 years later...
On 9/16/2012 at 12:35 AM, Dadgad said:

I would suggest that you watch this short video, it is very well done.

http://www.infiniteskills.com/demos/movie-player.php?h=685&w=890&movie=http://iskills-media.s3.amazonaws.com/autocad2011beg-demo/0310.mp4

You will be interested in adding a VIEWPORT, or perhaps more in your Paperspace. :)

If you open your VIEWPORT toolbar, you will see the numerous commands associated with them.

In order to create a CIRCULAR viewport you will want to use the OBJECT commandline option, while creating a new viewport.

Create your viewport on a special LAYER, which should be set as a NONPRINTING LAYER.

Please watch the video, lots of good information there.

Can you please update the link?