Lines (angled) move on zoom in but remain static if selected.

afieldoutback

I have just been doing some work for a company and they were using AutoCAD 2009.

One of my tasks involved stretching and moving items from imported drawings over Architectural layouts. Lines drawn on the x and y axis were fine. However, if I zoomed in on angled lines they moved out of view making them difficult to select or position to a snap point. If I selected those lines then they remained in place when I zoomed in.

When I approached the company manager he replied by saying that he would zoom in then zoom out to the point where the lines were correct and in place. I thought that he was either joking or was testing me! It meant I could not do any detailed work - which contradicts the use of Auto CAD.

The question has to consider the fact that the lines were angled and that they remained static when selected. When zooming in and selecting them they were off and running out of the screen view. Please also note that my colleague at the next desk opened up the file on V2008 and he could zoom in okay. I was also using a wide screen if this matters.

Can anybody help as I am sure someone has come across this problem before?

Unfortunately that would be impossible as the company would not approve, as the job has not been accepted by their client yet (a confidential document).

One of the main considerations has to be that the file worked okay on the next desk - as it might do on your machine if you had the file. If it worked okay on your machine, what would you say then? What would you derive from being able to zoom in on your system?

If this happened on only my system I would say it is not a problem with the drawing. It could be it is an operator error or a program error. Did you try a REPAIR of the system?

I simply worked on the file as the manager did. He would not allow a system repair as he would have thought that things were either acceptable or would not want to investigate the system. So ruling out operator error, what could be wrong with the program? Everything else and other functions worked okay. For a starting point - why is there a difference between zooming in on straight lines and angled lines?

I am not working with the company at the moment. I wanted to find out the problem for the future and to let the manager know. I do not have the system and card specifications to hand at present either. The system is used daily for commercial use so I presume things are set up properly.

I thought that this might be a common problem with settings or something. My only other thought was would all the angled lines need to be input into polar settings or something. Additionally if I set the object UCS to the angled lines they would still fly off when zooming in for detailed work. It really is quite an annoying problem.

Are all the lines at the same elevation?

The file was a new file with an outline from an Architects drawing imported, and drawings of standard windows (ie windows for glass) imported. So I was working in 2D in plan view. I would eventually use paper space to present the layouts in an elevation and plan and section-through view with detailing.