V-Ray - Best Use for my scenario?

tzframpton

Hello all, I'm inquiring about V-Ray for my company. I am somewhat aware of what V-Ray is as a software package but not entirely so this is why I'm inquiring.

Here are the programs I use on a consistent basis: AutoCAD, Revit, Navisworks. My company is rather large and I have access to virtually all Autodesk software via network license. I have 3D Studio MAX installed currently but haven't played with it much.

Is V-Ray a stand alone application at all, or will I have to use it in tandem with 3DSMax or SketchUp or something similar? Also, how can I leverage DWG and/or RVT file formats? Will I be importing every time?

Also, what real benefits does V-Ray give over 3DSMax's rendering parameters? I have seen it in action a few times in some YouTube videos and I'm more than impressed but I just want to be sure I know exactly what V-Ray offers over 3DSMax.

Thanks in advance! -Tannar

I am no expert on Vray, but I do know that you will not be able to use it in conjunction with Revit, Autocad and Navisworks directly. You will have to import your files into Studio Max or Sketchup in order to render them with Vray. You will also have to purchase separate seats for Max and Sketchup. Each version of Vray is designed to work specifically for each individual program. And as far as I know, Vray is a plug-in, not stand alone. I have never used Vray, only played with the demo about 5 years ago, so I can't really tell you from experience what the benefits are. But I have heard that it's faster and easier to use than Mental Ray. But as far as render quality, I've never really seen much difference. I think Mental Ray and Vray both produce outstanding renders.

Hope that helps.

That shines more light on this for me. I was kind of thinking the same thing as far as output. I've always loved V-Ray renders, but then again the OOTB Mental Ray from 3DSMax can be absolutely outstanding as well. In my opinion, a combo of SketchUp and V-Ray is an inexpensive purchase for awesome renders without the complexity and price of 3DSMax. Would you agree?

Thanks again Rob. :)

In my opinion, a combo of SketchUp and V-Ray is an inexpensive purchase for awesome renders without the complexity and price of 3DSMax.

Sketchup Pro + Vray is going to run you about $1300 as opposed to roughly $4800 for Max + Vray. It just depends on what you need and what you can afford. If Sketchup + Vray works for what you need to do, then there is certainly no need to go to the expense of Max + Vray.

Before you go out and purchase Vray for Sketchup, you might want to take a look at Maxwell. They have a free render engine for Sketchup. The free version does have some limitations, but the licensed version is only $95. Might be a cheaper alternative than Vray? Just something to think about.

Check it out: http://www.maxwellrender.com/index.php/maxwell_for_google_sketchup