Can't delete viewport frame to make custom one

NarkDuffy

I did not intend to draw my house in anything other than full scale But tell me does this mean that if I take part of the house in a layout, click on scale 1:1 then the representation on my screen should be the real world measurement. What happens when I do this is the drawing shrinks away like star trek warp drive. if I have made a cock up then I will have to redraw it. Not so terrible and great to get it correct.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• NarkDuffy

• Dadgad

• Tiger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you assign a scale of 1:1 to a viewport then it will display whatever is in it at full size.

I think you may have some geometry in your drawing that is far, far away in a distance universe and AutoCAD is trying to make it fit in your viewport the best way it knows how.

ND: I took a very quick peek at your latest posted drawing and I notice that your viewport is Layout1 is still on layer "y dimensions" and not on the Viewport layer as I instructed.

I would suggest that you assign a color like "magenta" to your Viewport layer and not something so light that it can barely be seen onscreen. Remember that since the layer is now set to "no print" it doesn't matter if some text or a leader crosses over the viewport frame. No harm...no foul.

If I use zoom extents then all I get is the screen the way I expect it to be screen1tz.png

When I use my “existing “ layout” and set it to 1:1 I get this. screen1tz.png

I need to study more. I do not know how to identify what layer a layout is on. I certainly had viewport open and active as I created this layer.

its getting me down as no doubt it is you. Whereas it is a pleasure to learn new things it is frustrating when simple things seem to be so difficult and numerous references are new to learn. If i knew where my mistake was it would be fine. I don't mind redrawing the lot but not to know why my stuff is not reacting to commands the way it should is frustrating. When i started i saw no reason not to use meters as I can visualize a meter and people talk in meters. So I made one unit a meter. With it as it is I cannot ask some one to look at it. Any how its 6ish her and I have to go back on site to make sure its all OK and see one of the neighbors as there was some sort of an issue today with a pipe.

All the best and thanks again. You have given me so much.

Treat the layout as you would a piece of paper and think of the viewports as windows, windows that allow us to see the objects we created back in model space.

Your "layout" is not on a layer. The objects that would be in a layout, like our title block and border, notes, callouts and dimensions (if this is the way you want to go) have their own assigned layers.

Is the last drawing file that you attached to a post the most current one you have?

What size paper were you going to plot these drawings on?

What scale did you have in mind. Certainly there are "standard" metric architectural scales that you are familiar with right? Remember it is a house and not a 10 hectare wooded lot. The scale can be larger.

I really need you to answer the question I asked re: which template you used.

Naming a house after me will result in seven years bad luck. Sure you want to do that?

printer plotter Adobe PDF

paper size A4 or iso A4 (210.00 x 297.00 mm)

Plot area Layout

plot style Monochrrome.ctb

Shaded view options Norna,

Plot scale 1: 1

scale I don't know it matters. I understood that it was OK to fit it in the screen at the best fit scale (not chosing fir on paper)

Interestingly when i use the quick plot and set the scale to 1:1 i also get a small image in the centre of the paper.

If i set it to 1000:1 whis is the correct i get a blank sheet. Probably becaue there is more empty space than used space like matter.

Sorry my answer for scale is not well written

I did not know it matter what the scale was on the layout as long as it is shown. So i was looking to chose a scale using the scale gauge at the bottom and which ever was largest.

Layouts are plotted 1 unit = 1 mm for metric users. The "scale" of each viewport is assigned to the viewport itself and NOT to the layout.

Please work with me here. I've instructed you several times to create your viewports on their own layer and give them a color that stands out like magenta. The latest version of your drawing has a viewport on layer Title Block and the color is black. The viewport layer is set not to print so if the layer is sky-blue-orange or girlie-girl pink it does not matter but it is a lot easier to see where one's viewport is compared to the black lines of a title block and border. If your viewport is on a layer other than the viewport layer it is very easy to turn that layer off or freeze it thus hiding your viewport and its contents. My suggestions really are for your own good. After we have completed this drawing to your satisfaction you can use whatever standard or non-standard method you choose. Work with me here as I too have to work with your drawing. Are we good to go now?

An update: I ran the Overkill command on your latest drawing and AutoCAD still found duplicate lines and overlapping lines. the worst case was the plan view that is all in white. 62 duplicates/124 overlapping lines. The sections to the left had 2 duplicates/14 overlapping lines. The very busy plan view in the center surprisingly had only 4 duplicate lines/11 overlapping lines. This tells me that you still are not being careful with your geometry. I don't know if you are copying objects over in their exact same location or you are purposely drawing two lines one right on top of the other at the very same length. These kinds of things can come back to haunt you down the road in ways you cannot imagine.

Edited by ReMark

A0 is 841 x 1189 while A4 is 210 x 297. That is a big difference. A1 is a more comfortable sheet size to deal with in the field (for the contractor) while A3 would be handy to carry around and do take-offs on for the home owner.

Common metric scales used in architecture are: 1:10, 1:20, 1:50, 1:100, 1:200 and 1:1000. Less common: 1:250. One might use a scale of 1:200 for a large commercial or industrial building and use something quite a bit smaller for a residential drawing unless of course your "The Queen". I think her residence is significantly larger than yours is it not?

Edited by ReMark

I did a quick experiment with your drawing. First I moved everything closer to the 0,0 origin. You had your geometry out in far right field. Then I made a copy of your truss. I scaled it up by 1000. Why? Because 1000mm = 1 meter. I then went to Layout 1, doubled clicked inside the viewport, then changed the scale from 10:1 to 1:100. It looked pretty good. My next step will be to try the same trick with one of the plan views. Note that 1:100 is a much more widely used metric architectural scale than 10:1 is. As a matter of fact a scale of 10:1 is not even listed as a common metric architectural scale as far as I know.

One last thing before I retire for the evening. Your title block in Layout1 is not positioned correctly. The dashed lines represent the limits to which AutoCAD will plot. Anything inside those lines will plot while anything on the dashed lines or beyond them will NOT print at all.

That's it for me. Hope some of this has helped. I'll check back in Saturday morning. BTW...I'm located on the east coast of the United States. You are about 5 hours ahead of me time-wise. By the time I check my computer you'll be drawing close to lunch time. See you on the flip side. Bye.