Can't delete viewport frame to make custom one

NarkDuffy

I did a quick experiment with your drawing. First I moved everything closer to the 0,0 origin. You had your geometry out in far right field. Then I made a copy of your truss. I scaled it up by 1000. Why? Because 1000mm = 1 meter. I then went to Layout 1, doubled clicked inside the viewport, then changed the scale from 10:1 to 1:100. It looked pretty good. My next step will be to try the same trick with one of the plan views. Note that 1:100 is a much more widely used metric architectural scale than 10:1 is. As a matter of fact a scale of 10:1 is not even listed as a common metric architectural scale as far as I know.

One last thing before I retire for the evening. Your title block in Layout1 is not positioned correctly. The dashed lines represent the limits to which AutoCAD will plot. Anything inside those lines will plot while anything on the dashed lines or beyond them will NOT print at all.

That's it for me. Hope some of this has helped. I'll check back in Saturday morning. BTW...I'm located on the east coast of the United States. You are about 5 hours ahead of me time-wise. By the time I check my computer you'll be drawing close to lunch time. See you on the flip side. Bye.

I did the same thing using the -DWGUNITS command, as shown in the image, it converted the units from mms to meters and automatically rescaled and set the insert units appropriately, a very useful command. :)

setting meters as -dwgunits.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• NarkDuffy

• Dadgad

• Tiger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesting. I just hope we are both on the right track. Even when I opened the drawing for the first time I thought something wasn't quite right with the scale of the objects within but I ignored it to concentrate on other things like the numerous instances of duplicate and overlapping lines as well as dealing with questions regarding viewports.

ND:

I think you should approach your drawing differently given that as a newcomer to AutoCAD you would want to make this as easy on yourself as possible. I would suggest three different floor plans. The first one would show the existing layout. The second one would indicate areas where demolition would take place. The third one would show where new walls, openings and additions to the house were going to be made. You have instead elected to draw everything on top of each other. This approach works best if you lock all the underlying layers that you still need to reference and temporarily freeze those that you don't. There is still a problem though when it comes to printing because you cannot show existing/demolition/and renovation all the the same plan given the extensive amount of work you want to undertake. Your floor plan becomes so busy it is rendered unreadable. How does this sound to you?

I would also create elevations for all four sides of the house and sections through the house where required. The section cut lines need to be indicated on one of the plan views. Details can be included for specialty items, such as a built-in cabinet for instance, as well as door and window schedules and room finish schedules.

Sometimes there are more than four sides to a house, for instance a "U" shaped floorplan. Any elevation point that does not show up on any of the other 4 elevations, also has to be drawn as an elevation.

I usually put the section cut symbols on both plans and elevations, marked alike, of course. Sometimes there are both horizontal and vertical jogs in the section planes. It is customary to break the section cut lines so they do not actually cross any of the plan or elevation drawing, they stop short above the roof and below the grade line, and short of the exterior walls, but they must be aligned unless there is a jog. There are quite enough lines in architectural drawings without sticking superflous symbol lines all in there too, but the places where section cuts jog have to be marked with section cut lines, without the big arrows and labels, as precisely as possible.

Why jog a section? One requirement for permit drawings usually is a whole house section, on which the house should be shown from the highest point on the roof, to the bottom of the lowest footing. Sometimes these two points are not quite on the same plane.

Section cut "LINES" should be at least 2 times heavier than the heaviest solid line used in the house.

Wow thanks everyone for all this advice. I had not received any notification from the site to tell me there were new additions. So you must all think I am very bad mannered. At the end of last week I was exhausted. more questions than answers as the song goes. I had on my own decided to go right back and start again.

I wanted to see physical proof of scale so I created a template in millimeters and made a 5cm line, put it in a layout, scaled it at 1:1, printed it and measured it. So I now know that I am coming form the virtual world into the real world.

So I now have two choices. In fact i have to do both to learn all the stuff that is not taught. One is to see if I can copy my existing to the new template and see if the measurements are converted. Whatever happens I will learn. Second to do the proposal that has been suggested by ReMark and others.

Also that I don't fully follow instructions is not intentional. It is that I generally have to research the instructions to understand them and then to undertake them. I feel that I can't ask some of the questions I have as they are almost like where do I put to don over the i.

Once again thanks for all the advice. I am now back at me desk for an hour or so and also later tonight. So if all's well i will be able to report 100% success in the morning.

Nark

Hi Remark

Tried to get my drawings as close as possible to 0 0 but when I did a zoom and a zoom extents it dropped is as a very small display at the bottom of my screen. I thought there must be so wandering entry in space but could not find any eventually after a few attempts I had to revert to how they were in the first case.

Next I wanted to understand what you meant by a truss but all my searching to find an understanding has resulted in nothing, Truss was never mentioned in the course I have worked on. And I am assuming that it has an autocad meaning.

Trying to get the question answered how to scale up or down again asking it on google has not gotten me any answers.

What really p….s me off id that after this you have what I understand to be a working model of my drawings.

I did create a template which was I understood in mm. I expected Autocad to be able to calculate the difference from my original drawing. I dragged in a small amount (few short lines) and it shrank them to a dot almost.

I have been able to make my drawings so I must not flog myself too much but to take it to the next stage seems almost impossible. I have gotten a copy of the bible for Autocad 2012. I think the best thing for me to do is more study. Then at least I will understand what is being said to me. I am not the best at book study.. Apart from software books I have left all that behind me many many years ago and I think the brain stops learning. Or at least doesn’t want to.

I have now gone twice to the planners with drawings and no scale. Fine for conversations but on Monday I have to put in the scaled drawings. I think I am going to have to ask someone to do them for me. I have spent two weeks trying to get it running.

I think it's time for a glass of vino and a little cooking.

Nark

I will be back at this again later.

Yes but sorry i am getting nowhere. I ought to be able to draw a 5cm line pop it in a layout scale at 1:1 and have precisely that on my paper. I may have done something incorrect but i cannot achieve that on your drawing so I am starting again. I have spent a long time trying to understand the instructions and carry them out without success. i now feel far worse off than when i started. How nice it would be to go to school instead of learning on one's tod.

Now the latest issue is the command line is transparent and over the tabs so I can't access them. My solution is to open two files, close one and manually adjust the size so it is not over the tabs. Try googling this problem or looking in Cad tutor and there is no answer. I would have thought a right click option would have allowed me to alter its state. I can make it bigger but not move it. Anyhow really peeed off as this should be really simple.

Thanks for all your time.

Above the top of the tabs or sitting directly on top of the tabs? How did you manage that trick?

Where were you drawing this 5cm line? In model space or in your paper space layout?

After thinking about this long and hard I have come to the realization that you should do everything, geometry, text and dimensions, in model space and forget about using a paper space layout. You are struggling enough already.

Draw your geometry FULL size. Do NOT scale the geometry. Forget about text, dimensions, notes and title block/border and just concentrate on the geometry. We'll come back to this later.

What do you want to start with? Floor plan, elevations or sections?

On the left end of the commandline there is a wrench icon, you need to click on that to access all of the settings, which include transparency option.

Or alternatively just right click inside your commandline to get those same controls.

If you grab the gray tab at the end of the commandline you can put it wherever you want it, including donw in the normal docked psoition.

commandline transparency.JPG

Look for a button that has a padlock on it down at the lower right corner of your AutoCad window, on the "Status Bar". Click it, and unlock ALL your toolbars. Then you can slide your command line window back where you want it. You may have locked your toolbars after accidentally sliding the undocked command line window over your tabs, just far enough so it did not dock up there above it.

I prefer the command line window docked at the very bottom of the screen, and I expand it so it is 3 lines high. It is amazing what you can learn when you can see what commands get executed when you click some buttons or click items on the Draw or Modify menu's. You can dock the command line at the very bottom, like most people do by grabbing it by the little grey grip on one end and jambing it as far as it will slide down to the lower left. It will dock, and expand into the classic AutoCad command line window. then go back and LOCK the toolbars when you have them where you want them.

Hi to you all :)

No matter how irritated and frustrated I get you all seem to carry on giving me help and advice. SO THANKS A LOT.

I cannot stop musing at

“In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.”

I am starting as ReMark has suggested.o:) It is not a complicated drawing so redrawing it over the next day or so will not be a problem provided I do so in accordance with your instructions. I will keep it as simple as possible.

I have created a template Attached.

I am no longer going to concern myself with the layout

All drawing will be 1: 1 and in millimetres.

I will start with Floor plans and they will be simple.

I have also started a search to find a one to one low level tutor, college student or similar to pop in now and again.

Cannot see a wrench or a padlock See image. I would love to have the command line at the bottom. What I have at the moment is a transparent line and then text above encroaching into the drawing area. If the axis is there I can’t read the commands. Will keep searchng.

Some sod is going to have a field day reading all this someday.

Nark

JK Standard.dwg

Found the wrench. When I reduced the size of the window as opose to full screen I dragged up the transparant bar and noticed that it continued out to the left (my left) of the screen. I gragged over the main autocad box and in came the familliar command line. I have now moved the command bar to below the drawing screen. This allows me to type directly in to it and read it clearly.

Found the wrench. When I reduced the size of the window as opose to full screen I dragged up the transparant bar and noticed that it continued out to the left (my left) of the screen. I gragged over the main autocad box and in came the familliar command line. I have now moved the command bar to below the drawing screen. This allows me to type directly in to it and read it clearly.

Glad you found it! :beer:

Good attitude, not to worry, it's all uphill from here. :D