Dynamic Annotation

matfloyd2008

How do you make a Dynamic Annotation? For example, if there is 2 receptacles that are stacked on each other an elevation view. When you are placing the receptacle on the wall, how can you make it so that it doesn't just duplicate the annotation on the same place on the floor plan? Additionally, how do you make it so that if the receptacles that are places near each other that the annotation is spaced away from each other? Also with scaling, how can this work seamlessly without stacking or overlapping on each other?

Instead of duplicating a duplex receptacle, simply make a new family and create your Generic Annotation nested family with the proper symbolic properties that you need (spacing, scaling, etc).

What I mean is that you cannot use Revit like you are trying to do. The symbol you see is a "Generic Annotation" family that's nested into the receptacle family. It cannot be "moved over" without moving the 3D component. So best thing to do is create a new Family, with new 3D components and new 2D graphics that make up the Plan View symbol as a Generic Annotation family. This will give you the look and control you are after.

So once you have created these 2D & 3D components how do you make the annotations do what I want, e.g. to get the annotation to move into a position that represents on the plan view what is being represented on a 3D model?

I don't think you can move the annotation symbol without moving the 3D component. I haven't ever gotten it to work anyways. This is kinda the downfall of Revit when used in an MEP environment. It's hard to combine 2D symbols/linework with 3D components.

I have been able to give the receptacle several annotations around the original placement spot and then give them all yes/no parameters, but when the scale is changed it moves closer or farther away from each other instead of staying the same distance that is given.

Edit the object family; in this case, the receptacle. Align the annotation to a reference plane. Dimension the reference plane from the center plane (front/back or left/right). Make this dimension an instance parameter.

Now when you place the 3D object, you can move the annotation without moving the object.

I haven't verified that works, but it sounds correct from back-in-the-day.

If you get fancy, you can align it to two reference planes, front/back and left/right, so you can really move it anywhere.

If you make the dimensions as type parameters, you don't have to move the annotation every time you place the object. However, the annotation will be in the same spot for all instances of that type. There's benefits and drawbacks.

...back-in-the-day is always on a Wednesday, btw. :D

• 2 weeks later...