• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• RobDraw

• edwinprakoso

• veeSix

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought middle mouse button panning worked in a locked viewport.

Only if it has been MAXIMIZED, I believe. Other than that it won't go anywhere, it's locked.

Alright I'll bite. What is the benefit of having more than the maximum number of viewports if they all can't be displayed? The most viewports I've had in a single "D" size drawing has been 20. I could not imagine a situation where I would need 64 let alone more than 64. LoL

64 viewports is the limit for displaying contents, but you can have more for printing purpose. If you have more than 64 viewports, once you activate blank viewport, it will display the content and AutoCAD will randomly turn off another viewport.

You can lower the limit too. I forget the sysvar name. I think this limitation is for managing system memory.

I keep wondering. If I have a layout and it has 100 viewports and only 64 can be active at one time then I can't see what's in the other 36. So I make those active instead and now I can't see what's in 36 different viewports. Does this sound productive at all? And what's this "plus" about being able to print them? What if I really needed the contents of all 100 viewports printed at the same time? Who thought this was a good idea?

Anyone else using more viewports than me? More than 64?

Looks like the ability to have more than 64 viewports in a layout is not a very useful feature judging by the lack of responses so far. Maybe we should have a survey of some sort. Number of viewports by range?

1-9

10-19

20-29

30-39

40-49

49-50

50-59

60-69

70-79

80-89

90-99

100+

1-9

actually 3 is my max as far as I can remember.

Hah, tell me this is not useful.

Insert 65 tiny equal sized viewports covering the entire printable area of one page, with each one showing an adjacent view exactly aligned with all its neighbors. Then activate a different VP on each of 65 copies of the same page. Staple the copies together in a stack, then flip animate a blank spot randomly jumping all over your drawing.:lol:

I keep wondering. If I have a layout and it has 100 viewports and only 64 can be active at one time then I can't see what's in the other 36. So I make those active instead and now I can't see what's in 36 different viewports. Does this sound productive at all? And what's this "plus" about being able to print them? What if I really needed the contents of all 100 viewports printed at the same time? Who thought this was a good idea?

Anyone else using more viewports than me? More than 64?

Probably I didn't explain it clear enough. You can print all viewports and all their contents. Doesn't matter how many viewports you have.

AutoCAD limit 64 visible viewports just to limit video memory usage. I believe this is a legacy feature. When we don't have more than 1GB video memory.

If we have quite large amount of video memory, then it probably doesn't matter if you display hundreds of viewports. Not many people use more than 64 viewports anyway. I have more for several drawings, but less than 10% of my whole drawing productions.

You may want to check MAXACTVP variable. It has range 2-64. Try to lower it to 2 and see what happens.

I have had MAXACTVP set to 20 for the past few years and have had no problems. Why would I want to try and set it to a value lower than 2?

You have more than 64 viewports in a single drawing?

Just to see how it works. So you'll get the idea what will happen when you have more than 64 viewports :)

Yes I had several drawings that have more than 64 viewports :D

I know... You probably now thinking I should have a session with CAD police or something... Lol!

Is there a practical reason other than for giggles and chuckles to have 64 or more viewports? What type of work do you do? Just managing that number of viewports seems like it would be inefficient.

64Viewports.jpg

Imperial units. A "D" size sheet (36x24) with 64 viewports.

Yeah, this is what I would like to work with. You can never have too many views. 128 sounds even better.