Is there anyone can share MEP sample drawing

langthangnhe

- I've just study ACAD MEP a short time. It's is difficult to make a complete drawing by CAD MEP. Anyone can help me a sample electrical drawing (of a small building up to 2 floor)

- Thanks for helping me

(Thanks StykFacE for remind me the discipline)

Edited by langthangnhe

Simple job, but might be of help. XREF's are included too. This will help you only in conduit routing. The equipment are not MvParts, just standard 3D Solids. I do most of my MEP work in Revit now so AutoCAD MEP jobs have been lacking in recent years.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4989089/BIM%20-%20Central%20Plant%20Electrical.zip

Thank you very much.

By the way, Can we export from Revit to AutoCAD and inverse?

As you told, you do most of MEP work in Revit, can I ask you the reason for using Revit instead of AutoCAD. Is it because the better function, more convenience, ... or because of your customer requirement?

Now, I am studying AutoCAD MEP but after reading your sharing about your work, I have doubt for my selection: studying AutoCAD MEP or Revit MEP? Can you give me an advice ? I am very appreciate for any helping from you

Rd,

Revit is not better than AutoCAD. Revit is an entirely different platform altogether. Revit is only useful when you're using Revit models. In other words, if you're doing MEP design and all you have is a 2D architectural background made in AutoCAD, then I would highly advise against using Revit.

One must understand that you do not "draft" in Revit like you do in AutoCAD. It's a parametric environment that allows you to virtually build an information-rich virtual model of a building. To top it off when you use the MEP version of Revit, you'll be in a world of hurt if you think you can just "jump right in" like AutoCAD.

You'll know when you need Revit because it will be demanded. My company, which houses architects, structural and mechanical engineers, all use Revit together in collaboration. It makes sense in an environment like ours because we can utilize Revit's full potential. If you are a one-man show, working for a contractor that just needs to create BIM models and coordinated shop drawings, then AutoCAD MEP is still the way to go. However, if you get the correct bundle package, you can get Revit MEP and AutoCAD MEP for virtually the same price, then you can learn Revit at the same time you use AutoCAD MEP. And since AutoCAD MEP is still AutoCAD, the learning curve is much easier and you will grasp it much faster, especially if you stick with this forum (and others).

For your question regarding exporting from Revit/AutoCAD, etc. Yes, you can export from Revit to AutoCAD and vice versa but you cannot export/import "native objects" between the two. Because of this, it makes it pretty much useless other than giving someone where you're at in 3D space. Virtually no further manipulation can occur as you lose the parametric intelligence of the objects. Revit can export to 2D linework just fine, but once again if you're already using Revit, there's no need for this unless you're giving it to an outside client.

Hope this helps. :)

Your information is very useful to me. I decide to study AutoCAD MEP :).

In my company, AutoCAD is the priority software for designing.

Furthermore, MEP staff never need to show the design drawing in 3D space. I just want to study CAD MEP to improve my skills. I think that CAD MEP is neccesary for a complicated system like a machine room in a big building, etc.

I openned the file you sent me yesterday, but it seem a mechanical design. Could you please to send me an electrical design ?

Thanks a lot.

• 4 months later...

Hi StykFacE!

I too am learning AMEP and it would be great to have some samplefiles to practice on.

Your Dropbox link has stopped working, would it be possible for you to put it up again? :)

If you have something with some piping and hvac in it too it would be great..

Thanx /Patrik

This is an old thread. I've moved on to Revit so AutoCAD MEP isn't really my thing anymore. I do have some old examples, and not to sound rude but I'm not not really up to digging those up and posting them again.

I still help out when I can in the AMEP section but Revit is where my main interest is. 8)

I understand :)

I think Revit MEP is the future here in Sweden as well, but it will take some work before it can meet up to our standards..

Its quite popular among the architects though.

/Patrik

I understand :)

I think Revit MEP is the future here in Sweden as well, but it will take some work before it can meet up to our standards..

Its quite popular among the architects though.

/Patrik

One comment, if I may. The A/E/C market will not care about your standards. Best bet, go ahead and get in on Revit. Trust me, the benefits of using Revit far outweigh all other issues you or your company may think is present.

;)

*EDIT*

It also puts you in a new market for bids on work. So, win/win.

:)

One comment, if I may. The A/E/C market will not care about your standards. Best bet, go ahead and get in on Revit. Trust me, the benefits of using Revit far outweigh all other issues you or your company may think is present.

;)

You may, and you are right! Its probobly time to take that next step...

Any useful links to tutorials? Guess Ill start with the sample files, and dig in to that family creation..

/P

you cannot export/import "native objects" between the two.

This is not entirely true. EastCoast Cad/Cam has a solution where they bring duct and pipe into Autocad MEP as a native autocad mep object. This Design to Fabrication solution is fully integrated into our main product with access to thousands of real world parts and fittings.

Check out our youtube channel for a video of the process https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_FldnIQdkI

Keith, thanks for the tip. So through 3rd party it's doable with EastCoast CAD/CAM. I do know that Revit does have an "Export Native AutoCAD MEP Objects" and it doesn't work at all. Just converts everything to a Mass Element.