Three CAD versions in one office

gste

I am working in a rather liberal office, and my boss doesn't want to force people to move on to the latest CAD version that the office has purchased. And maybe he doesn't want to move on himself, since he is still using it every now and then.

So, we have currently people working in 2007, 2008, and 2009.

From what I can tell at a minimum there are printing issues that come with this- like, the pc3s aren't working the same for everyone.

I have been advocating to move everyone to the latest version, and make it an office policy that staying with an old version is just not an option. He wants to know why this would be necessary.

What are people's opinions about this? Any supporting arguments that I can add to my list? I just find it backwards not to move on to the next version of any software if it is available in an office.

Thanks!

If I was the boss, I'd be a little upset at spending money on updated software that is sitting around gathering dust. It causes problems when using '09, and then trying to work on it in an older version. I say this from experience, as Civil 3D '09 can't be opened properly in '07 or '08.

Question:

Does CAD2009 save to its own AutoCAD 2009 encryption?

Coz 2008 still uses AutoCAD 2007 but we still save to 2004 since there are others still using Civil3d 2006

There are problems with both options and I can see both sides of the arguement.

However, I'd have 2007, 2008, and 2009. I see that forcing people to ugrade against their will is a problem. It's also nice to have a 'spare tire' as the latest software (not just Autocad) has bugs in it.

It's not just the software bugs but nocturne00 pointed out a HUGE problem. Unless you have a crystal ball, you won't know what formate your clients will want or outside firms that you work with will use.

These problems greatly outweigh the other problems

I believe it's still 2007.

We're saving to 2004 as well, as this simplifies file exchange.

Thats good to hear. encryption of these files could be quite a headache when there are still users of CAD2006 and lower versions on your office network.

Never actually figured out the advantages and disadvantages of files ecrypted in 2007 format and 2004 and below formats.

perhaps someone could shed some light on this

Never actually figured out the advantages and disadvantages of files ecrypted in 2007 format and 2004 and below formats.

perhaps someone could shed some light on this

There is obviously the built in obscelance that allows AutoDesk to charge more for the same product :glare: but I have always expected the compression routines to be re-written at each stage. You only need to look at the compression ratios obtained in zip files compared with 10 years ago to see that they compact a lot more now than they used to. I'm guessing a big drawing continually saved in 2000 format could well be larger than one continually saved in 2007 format.

Also, at each release new objects get created. I keep pointing out Dynamic Blocks. They save me so much time with the work I do, and every time one of my drawings gets "saved down" to send out, the dynamic blocks stop working. In general it doesn't matter as they have done the work I needed them for but it does increase the time needed to modify some of my drawings - time my company has to spend just because somebody else hasn't upgraded.

• 2 months later...

I'd start laying on the pressure now to move to the 2010 release. Its going to be another format change just like 04 and 07. But it does seem that there will be some changes to object creation, namely AutoCAD will be adding in some parametric features.

Your boss may also be reluctant to move because of the cost involved with upgrading if you are not on subscription.

Also, once some people get used to a piece of software they're less likely to want to make a jump. This is certainly more true if the jump skips a release or two say from 2004 to 2009.

Well we use '07, '08 and I have '09 and we all open and save each other's drawings with no issues and yes there is no difference in file type. We have yet to have any PC3 issues either. Our plotting is very simple though.

• 2 weeks later...

If all that is going to result from 3 versions of autocad is compatability issues, printing problems, and any myriad of unforseen headaches.....WHY?????! especially when you're paying ridiculous amounts of money to get a license that autodesk will send you updates for anyway (for free).

The newer versions are nicer anyway.. They still have all the old commands and options the last time I checked.. The old timers can even use the classic layout if you have a gramps that fears change.

We now use 2009 at my office and some of the features are actually really helpful to have. Things like the drawing quick view or even the "shade plot" option for viewports.. It's also really handy to quickly toggle between workspace setups (not sure if the last version of autocad had that though but I really like it).

-ChriS

I don't know about everyone else, but what the !@#$ is the problem with everyone using the latest version in your office? They really aren't that much different at all. '09 made changes to the gui, but as I understand you can change the setting for it to look like previous versions. If you can do that then I would see no reason in the world not to use it. It's the same @#$% thing.

As far as the .pc3 problem is everyone using the SAME .pc3? Does everyone's computer have the printers installed with the same name and same path? Are the drives all mapped with the same drive letter? Are the .pc3's on each machine or are you set up on a server? These are things to consider with the printing issues which in my mind are not that big a deal if you want to keep using the different versions so long as the folks using the program know how to work around it.

Well Rusty, it is not quite the same. I have 08 and 09 and I prefer 08.

1. The dashboard is gone and I do not like the ribbon. To me it's much easier to get to the tools I need in 08.

2. I have a Core2Duo, 2gb ram and a Quadro FX3450 and 08 is way faster.

I do like how the toolbars in 09 are smaller in profile than in 08.

Anyway just my opinions as always ;)

Acad-08.jpg

Acad-09.jpg

OK I wasn't sure as I had not yet used '09. I was under the impression that you could set it up to appear like previous versions.

Based on your comments I say put 'em all on '08! :D

It has some good points Rusty, but I think they should have just made improvements instead of a GUI change. I just wish I could get my Dashboard back ;)

The plotting problems can be worked around, I think Rusty was right though, you can set 09 to look like 08 but as f700es 09 is definitly alot slower. just be happy you dont have half the office in LT!