dimensioning question

ryan osmun

i install sprinkler heads and am trying to find a way to dimension them like the picture but with only a command instead of dimensioning between every single head/ circle manually.heads.jpg

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ryan osmun

• ReMark

• Tharwat

• RobDraw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Didn't like the answer my brother Kyle suggested at CAD Everything? A custom lisp routine will work. You just have to find one that gives you the results pictured above.

had nothing to do with liking his answer? i didnt know i was restricted to posting the question to only one site? im trying to find the answer anywhere because i dont know enough to find it on my own?

No one said you were restricted to one site.

How about we change the question instead, as Kyle suggested, and ask if anyone knows of a lisp routine that will dimension lines as shown in the posted image? It appears you do not want arrowheads or extension lines just dimensions which shouldn't be a problem. Now the other question is are the lines that you show (from center-to-center of each circle) going to be a part of the drawing to begin with or do they also need to be drawn? The more information you can provide the better the answer, and maybe even the lisp routine, will be. Are we all on the same page now?

Did you ever follow through with Kyle regarding the lisp routine that he posted an image for?

I saved you the trouble and had Kyle send me a copy of the lisp routine he found. It was authored by forum member Tharwat and dated 06.Dec.2011. It is attached to this post as AutoDim.lsp.txt. To use it you will first have to rename it to AutoDim.lsp then load it via the AutoCAD command APPLOAD. To run it type AutoDim at the command line. Note that it works with lines. That means you will have to have a line that goes from center of circle to center of circle. Yes, I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for but maybe you will get lucky and Tharwart will offer up a modified version of the routine if you ask nicely.

AutoDim.lsp.txt

Edited by ReMark
Corrected spelling error

I saved you the trouble and had Kyle send me a copy of the lisp routine he found. It was authored by forum member Tharwart and dated 06.Dec.2011. It is attached to this post as AutoDim.lsp.txt. To use it you will first have to rename it to AutoDim.lsp then load it via the AutoCAD command APPLOAD. To run it type AutoDim at the command line. Note that it works with lines. That means you will have to have a line that goes from center of circle to center of circle. Yes, I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for but maybe you will get lucky and Tharwart will offer up a modified version of the routine if you ask nicely.

[ATTACH]37711[/ATTACH]

WOW! thanks alot that is really close to what i wanted. your instructions were perfect to. i will have see about asking him to do that. do i just type his name in to search for him?

Since you have only three posts (ten required to PM) your options are limited. He was around early today but apparently he passed this thread by. I'll drop him a PM with a link to this thread. Maybe he'll stop by and take a look. Note that Tharwat is not obligated to change his code. If he does so it is only out of the kindness of his heart and his desire to help other forum members like yourself.

A PM has been sent on your behalf to Tharwat. That's the best I can do at the moment.

Edited by ReMark
Corrected spelling error

i understand, i can set something up to pay him for doing it, this will save me tons of time so its worth it. thanks for all the help!

i have another question. when i open up my templates will i have to do this process everytime in order to use the autodim function or is there a way i can make it so it is there every time?

Lisp routines can be loaded automatically if that is what you are asking.

Visit the website of forum member Lee Mac. Start with the link below. Read the first two tutorials under the heading Lisp Tutorials. If you have further questions come back here and post them.

http://lee-mac.com/tutorials.html

ya thats what im trying to figure out i guess. ive went into program files/ autodesk/ aCAD2012/ support/ and put it in there because that is where the acad lisp file is located but it didnt work.

ya thats what im trying to figure out i guess. ive went into program files/ autodesk/ aCAD2012/ support/ and put it in there because that is where the acad lisp file is located but it didnt work.

As you were responding I added something to my last post. Go back and reread it.

AutoCAD 2012. I see. Are you running a 32-bit or 64-bit system? Is 2012 32-bit or 64-bit?

Thanks Remark for the nice words and you've been very kind with all your posts around as usual .

You have written my name wrongly into your previous posts . :)

And as I can see that the OP wants to put the lengths of each separate line without a dimension entity at all , Am I right ?

otherwise a few direct details would save time for all and would get the desire result as best as we could .

Note : No need to pay for the code , I would make it for you freely if that meet my abilities to handle it :)

Tharwat

Edited by Tharwat
words correction

My apologies regarding the spelling of your name. I've gone back and corrected all of them.

I'm not sure if the OP includes the lines in his drawing that go from the center-to-center of each circle or not. If he does then all he would need is the dimension itself. If he doesn't then he would need the lines and the dimension but it doesn't appear as though he needs arrowheads or extension lines. Does that make sense?

64 bit yes 2012 is 64 bit

The path to where your acaddoc.lsp file should be located (once you create it) should probably be something along these lines:

"C:\\Users\\yourcomputernamehere\\appdata\\roaming\\autodesk\\autocad 2012 - english\\r18.2\\enu\\support\\acaddoc.lsp"

heads.jpg

I would like the dimensions to show like this. the ones to the edges of the perimeter i can do manually if that wouldnt be possible to do. but for all of the circles connected in the area of the perimeter they would have to look like they do in this pic. the reason being that some of the perimeters are huge and will have a ton of circles inside and could get confusing the way the lisp is set up right now.

again i would like to thank all of you guys this will help me out tremendously. if i can do anything please just let me know.

Please answer this one question: Are the lines going from center of circle to center of circle already included as part of the drawing or would they have to be created?

Do you have lines connected to each circle and to the boundary as it is shown in the last image ?

If yes , you can use the upload lisp by Remark with a few modifications to put the dimension on the lines without a gap , otherwise to make

the dimensions from circle to circle and a few of the them to the boundary , it is not that easy to handle , or at least to me - Frankly .

Please answer this one question: Are the lines going from center of circle to center of circle already included as part of the drawing or would they have to be created?

they are not already included as part of the drawing