What is the different between Rhino & AutoCAD?

ica_cici

Hi All,

My Boss's friend suggest that our factory use Rhino for some design work.

So he asked me if its ok to change the software from Autocad to Rhino.

But all my designs are in .cad file.

The question is:

1. Does anyone know what is the different between Rhino & AutoCAD?

2. Can I open the .dwg file in Rhino?

3. Some friends said that Autocad similar to 3ds Max, is that true?

Thank you for the help.:)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrisdarmanin

• tzframpton

• ica_cici

• Cad64

What uses .cad files? AutoCAD and Rhino do not use these file formats. I agree with Cad64 nothing is as good as AutoCAD in 2D. Rhino does seem to have a good tool set for jewelry. Take a look at Moi3D. It was written by a former Rhino developer and has a great Nurb toolset. It is less expensive at $295 as compared to Rhino's $995 price (base). Moi does not have a rendering engine though.

All of the above posters are accurate in their statements. To add further information: Rhino utilizes NURBS modeling. 3DStudioMAX also utilizes NURBS modeling. AutoCAD doesn't support NURBS modeling much, if at all. AutoCAD utilizes Solid Modeling mostly, but AutoCAD specializes in tools related to 2D drafting. However, I've found that in my past experiences with Rhino, it actually has very similar 2D tools and accuracy procedures that AutoCAD has. To me, Rhino is a cross between 3DSMax and AutoCAD. That being said, I have virtually no experience in 3DSMax so I can't really confirm that.

It is okay to use Rhino for precision detail work but AutoCAD is definitely the application of choice for work like this. AutoCAD is still plenty capable of nice 3D renders for things like jewelry design. Taking a look in our Showcase section can prove the quality of AutoCAD.

To me, Rhino is a cross between 3DSMax and AutoCAD. That being said, I have virtually no experience in 3DSMax so I can't really confirm that.

I would say that's a fair assessment. Rhino combines the accuracy of Autocad with the freeform creativity of Studio Max. FormZ is another such program that you might want to take a look at.

But in my opinion, if you need to produce 2D detail drawings, you should use a true CAD program. If the cost of Autocad is too much for your company to justify keeping it, you might want to consider switching to Bricscad. It's almost identical to Autocad but for a fraction of the cost.

I think the one Autodesk product most similar to Rhino is Alias Design. Both applications target the industrial/product designer.

Based on some of your previous posts, ica_cici, I’d say you would benefit greatly from a seat of Rhino (or Alias, or Moi), especially if you already have AutoCAD for documentation/detailing.

Hi All,

I am sorry about .cad file, my mistake :oops:.

I mean it's .dwg file.

I already download the free trial of Rhino.

But when I opened my .dwg file, all my drawing in paper layout couldn't be read.

So, i just have my drawing in Model Space.

When using Autocad, I always draw the 3d product in model space and the 2d detail drawing in layout.

Is it true that Rhino can read drawing only in model space? or it's just my mistake because never use it before.

I will take a look at Moi3D, Bricscad and Alias Design.

Thank you for all the information.:)

Rhino 4.0 should be able to import layout tabs as well. Look at the tabs along the bottom - some should be labeled with the same name as the Layout tabs in AutoCAD.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

i know - old thread, bud did a search and this came up. looking into rhino and interface is very similar to autocad, even some shortcuts.

currently looking for something better than sketchup for 3d modelling but simpler than blender for 3d rendering. (i use both) also most times i start from autocad plans which i import to sketchup then to blender for the final render, and a lot of cleaning in between

looks like rhino is best suited to replace blender and sketchup and keep autocad.

one question: how is import and export between the 2 programs?

Rhino files import directly into AutoCAD (from ver. 2012, I believe). Rhino 5 (the current version) can only directly import AutoCAD files based on the AutoCAD 2010 format. That includes files saved from AutoCAD 2010 - 2012. Any AutoCAD version after that has to use the "SaveAs" feature, and use the 2010 file version. Fortunately, the version shift does not suffer any data loss on geometry pertinent to Rhino.

i know - old thread, bud did a search and this came up. looking into rhino and interface is very similar to autocad, even some shortcuts.

currently looking for something better than sketchup for 3d modelling but simpler than blender for 3d rendering. (i use both) also most times i start from autocad plans which i import to sketchup then to blender for the final render, and a lot of cleaning in between

looks like rhino is best suited to replace blender and sketchup and keep autocad.

one question: how is import and export between the 2 programs?

Out of curiosity, why not render in AutoCAD? What does AutoCAD lack that the others have? Here is a guitar I modeled and rendered all in AutoCAD and does fine for me:

2014-12-25_03_LensBlur.jpg

Well Rhino is a great all purpose 3D app but it's built in rendering engine is not so great. Great Rhino renders usually come from Flamingo, KeyShot or V-Ray. Not sure if Rhino really replaces any other 3D app but is more of just another tool in the tool-belt. If you want a good general 3D app like Rhino then maybe take a look at MOI 3D.

modelling in autocad is cumbersome, i'm much faster in sketchup. i never tried rendering in autocad, i assuming its also cumbersome

Can't believe you made the guitar body so smooth looking in AutoCAD 3D, wauw man!

I model stuff in AutoCAD but it all for technical use. No good experiences with rendering like this. It is hard and clumbersome indeed

AutoCAD seems not so developed for this work. Need for a 'hybrid sollution' seems logical to me...