A question about transitioning away from AutoCAD to Revit

CADadam

Hi there (and apologies for a somewhat open ended question),

I currently work for a small drafting firm that mainly generates workshop/construction drawings for Mechanical Services (HVAC) contractors. We are currently seeing more and more large-scale/government tenders coming through that stipulate they are Revit/BIM only.

We currently draft completely in 2D (Plans, Section Drawings etc) using the standard AutoCAD software. My question is how do we, (if it's even possible) go about transitioning to some form of Revit capability? From my brief experiences with the suites they appear to be more intensively tailored for Design purposes rather than actual construction/manufacture documentation.

If so, is there a different software suite specifically tailored to our field?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Revit is 3D. The jump from 2D to 3D can be daunting. Have you or the company ever done 3D? Like you stated Revit is more of a design tool than drafting. It is much more useful in the collaboration world than it is at producing documents. If the final product is the documentation without sharing electronic files then Revit is probably not for your company.

REVIT IS IN NO WAY SIMILAR TO AUTOCAD

Re-read that.

Again.

Let that sink in before ever trying to learn the program.

A skilled Revit operator can produce construction documents as fast or faster than a typical AutoCAD user.

The jump from AutoCAD to Revit is no easy task. In my opinion, you need to be "all in" for it. If you're not leaving AutoCAD in the dust, you will not learn Revit to it's full potential.

If you're going to do it, DO IT. If you're not going 100%, save yourself the headache. If you're not all-in, you will get frustrated and defect back to AutoCAD. Then you will become another nay-sayer.

Revit is a very powerful program that we use daily (alongside AutoCAD). We have our AutoCAD users and our Revit users. Our AutoCAD users hate Revit, are unable to really do much because they don't "release" themselves from AutoCAD's grasp. Our Revit users hate AutoCAD, because it is slow; they know how to use AutoCAD and are very skilled at it, but work much faster in Revit.

Kinda just blabbed about stuff while doing software installs on new computers, so I hope this made sense.