best way to shade etc

sarah

help, i have a site that i'm having to CAD up and i need to show the lay of the land, hence in this attachment i've drawn the site, shown the land height and now i would like to render/ shade the lay of the land to show as a presentation. doe snayone know how to help me?

thank you in advance for your time

sarah

ps...sorry....i have autocad lt 2008 and toolbox 2009 add-on

site CAD3d lay of land.dwg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• sarah

• shift1313

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While I am quite familiar with AutoCAD LT and I have heard of the Toolbox add-on (how is that software anyway?) I'm not sure of the options it provides for shading objects. Does it have any commands that would equate to visual styles? Did you consult the Help file?

well autocad lt 2008 does not let me render which is tricky, but the toolbox 2009 which is an add-on that allows me to create 3d images, orbit etc. I can shade etc but i'm not sure how to create the lay of the land with the levels dropping via every ucs. help.

i'm self taught so if i'm missing something very obvious, i apologise.

thankyou

In full Autocad I would treat a closed contour line like a profile of any other object and extrude it in the 'Z' (up) direction. Is that something you can do via the Toolbox?

i can use the ucs to show a line drawing of the different lays of the land, one of my colleagues who doesnt work with cad would like it 'shaded' in so it looks solid....this is where i'm stuck

help.....i'm hitting unfamiliar territory here.....i only know how to do what i've needed to do in the past......dont know what you mean by...

"

In full Autocad I would treat a closed contour line like a profile of any other object and extrude it in the 'Z' (up) direction. Is that something you can do via the Toolbox?"

apologies once again

sarah, can you explain to use what is happening in your drawing. I see green lines with elevation numbers. Is this what you are trying to model? what is the green box in the middle of the drawing? Are your surfaces or "land" defined by these straight lines?

i went ahead and added 3dfaces to your lines.

layoflandsurface.dwg

Seeing how shift has taken an interest and actually has opened the drawing (something I cannot do at the moment) I'm going to step aside. However, before I do, some time in the near future I think it would be benefical to other AutoCAD LT users to hear more from you srah about your experiences using Toolbox LT 2009. I know that I would be interested as well. Think you can do that for us?

What? I drop out of the conversation and it dies? Sarah: did you get straightened out yet? shift: You still in on this? Where did everybody go?

she never replied remark. I modified the file and reposted it with the "ground" shaded but im not really sure what she was trying to achieve. The land was just comprised of some straight lines and i wasnt sure if there was more data i wasnt seeing. I have never used LT before so im not sure that she can even open my modified file.

Thanks shift. I didn't want her to think we abandoned her.

My guess (???) is she was maybe trying to do something along the lines of an extrusion. Although she is using LT I think she might still be able to open your file because she has the add-on software called Toolbox LT 2009 by GlobalCAD. This imparts some additional functionality that was missing from LT but can be found in the full version. An example would be the use of Lisp. I believe it also enhances (but I'm clueless as to how) 3D editting. I just wish she had given us a little more to go on and also tell us something about any additional features the new software imparted to AC LT. Maybe she'll be back. I'd like to learn more.

Thanks shift. That isn't exactly what I had expected to see. I thought I might see a site plan with contours and a building of some sort on it. Looks like she has more work to do or she expected AutoCAD to have a "magic" button.

OK...I'm "outta work" for the day and got a chance to look at sarah's drawing. I'd say she has a ways to go. For starters most of the objects were drawn using lines not polylines (with the exception of the two 6-sided polygons). At least eight layers have nothing on them from what I could tell. I'm assuming the objects on the dimensions layer are elevations in millimeters (not sure?) and they somehow correspond with the linework found on a layer called, strangely enough, "fixings". I did a "list" on one of the dimensions and AutoCAD reported back "linear, not parallel to UCS". The pavers in front of the school building were done with the "angle" hatch pattern (why, I don't know) and the red curvy polyline (?) on layer "add info" defines the boundary of what I'm not sure. Maybe for plantings. I also don't see anything on the "hidden depth" layer either. It's a bit of a puzzling drawing to me.

Sarah: Come back and tell us what it all means. Maybe we can still be of some futher help but detailed info is required. Sarah? Sarah? Are you out there, somewhere?

A few other observations.

There are overlapping lines and multiple line segments are used to make what really should be one long continuous line.

Units are set to decimal.

With many objects such as the school, canopy, shed, tarmac, etc. all drawn on one layer and in one color it becomes difficult to work with these entities and to get a clear picture of things.

At the very least I suggest duplicate lines be removed, multiple line segments (for one long line) be replaced with one continuous line, objects be given distinctly different colors and placed on separate layers. That would be a good start.

I just measured the school building: 2327'-1 5/8". That's almost half a mile long. Is that dimension correct? I wouldn't want to be a student there and have to walk from one end of the building to the other between classes.

Well I cleaned up some of the items I mentioned earlier (duplicate lines, etc.) and created separate layers and colors for some of the objects (school, shed, garden, etc.). I haven't messed with objects on the "dimensions" or "fixings" layer because I'm not really sure what to do with them. I have not extruded any of the objects although I did convert everything to polylines or regions (just the polygons).

Sarah site plan.dwg

That's all for now.

Hi ReMark, sorry about leaving you guys on friday. The help that i got on friday was brilliant, i'm sure it wont be long before i need a bit of help again though. However i would be more than happy to help anyone and tell anyone about toolbox 2009 lt add on. As i'm sure you are aware, i have no formal training, i find out how to do things as i come across them, but i'm very happy to help if needed.

Many thanks shift1313 and ReMark

have a good one

i guess that you guys probably think that i've gone about every cad detail in a very backwards manner, but then i'm completely self taught and the issue with that is that i'm the only person in my whole company who works with cad, does any design or tells anyone how to design anything etc so i have no-one to bounce off. I also work with men who hardly know how to turn a computer on, let alone understand cad, their issue is that they dont understand it when printed out if there are too many dimensions, colours, layers etc, so i have to keep the visual as basic as poss for them. dimensions in one layer, objects in another, other detail (such as the red polyline) in another.

To answer some of your questions.......i work in mm, so if the school buildings are 2377 (cant remember what it was exactly) but that would imply to my colleagues, 2.377m. Because we are a carpentry, playground business, the boys understand mm......and nothing else!

The red polyline is an area that we have marked out for some play equipment to go into.

I used the angle hatch just cos it looks visually correct for the boys (similar to the pavers)

Basically i've already done a site plan for the job of the whole school, i've also done front elevations of all the buildings, but i needed to show the lay of the land for the groundworks, doesnt need to be complicated, in fact the more basic the better.

i've only been on CAD for about 1 year and i've only had toolbox for about 4 wks, so still learning, esp with the 3d abilities.

Any handy hints from you guys would be gratefully received.....

sarah

:D