Draw a bounding box centered around a group of objects?

ittayd

I have a drawing of several walls (so different lines, dimensions, text). I want to draw around it a box of certain size (actually, 1:5 A4) so that it will be centered in the box.

You could start by using this lisp from Lee Mac's excellent site

http://www.lee-mac.com/boundingboxreactor.html

Thanks Lee! :beer:

Once this has created the defining bounding box you could copy or create the polyline you want

and center it on the centroid of the bounding box, you could determine that using the SNAP option M2P thus ensuring that it is centered.

What is in fact the purpose of that bounding box? You are talking above of a "1:5 A4" - are you going to fit a sketch into a sheet for printing? At what scale was that sketch done? It should be always 1:1 - if you switch to Paper Space mode (the Layout## tabs) you can fit there the sketch into desired format at any scale you want. Please check the tutorials of the Forum.

What is in fact the purpose of that bounding box? You are talking above of a "1:5 A4" - are you going to fit a sketch into a sheet for printing? At what scale was that sketch done? It should be always 1:1 - if you switch to Paper Space mode (the Layout## tabs) you can fit there the sketch into desired format at any scale you want. Please check the tutorials of the Forum.

The purpose is to have a box that the viewport corners can snap to so I get a viewport that tightly bounds the part of the drawing I want and that I can accurately center in the paper

You could start by using this lisp from Lee Mac's excellent site

http://www.lee-mac.com/boundingboxreactor.html

Thanks Lee! :beer:

Once this has created the defining bounding box you could copy or create the polyline you want

and center it on the centroid of the bounding box, you could determine that using the SNAP option M2P thus ensuring that it is centered.

Thank you.

Can I create a rectangle that is constantly offsetted to the bounding box? Meaning grows / shrinks as the bounding box grows / shrinks.