PDF compare - AutoCAD PDF driver vs Adobe Acrobat Pro X

f700es

With recent discussions on PDFs I thought I would compare 2 PDFs plotted from the same dwg with the same plot settings. One PDF from AutoCAD 2012's PDF driver and the other from Adobe Acrobat Pro X's driver.

AutoCAD's on the left and Adobe on the right..

PDF-compare.jpg

To me the Adobe file seems clearer and a bit sharper. I do see more errors with the AutoCAD PDF. The AutoCAD PDF has a file size of 272kb while the Adobe PDF was 176kb in size. I think this difference is because the AutoCAD PDF does contain layer information while the Adobe PDF does not.

I might try the same with AutoCAD 2013 and see what results I get there.

Sean

Be sure to monkey with the Adobe PDF driver settings. I set everything to ZIP compression for best results, although black linework might not be needed, nor used. I do know that when I print to PDF from Revit, ZIP Compression has phenomenal results.

Be sure to monkey with the Adobe PDF driver settings. I set everything to ZIP compression for best results, although black linework might not be needed, nor used. I do know that when I print to PDF from Revit, ZIP Compression has phenomenal results.

I could see that coming from a Revit file but I will look at that, thanks.

• 1 month later...

We use DWG-to-PDF.pc3 as default for PDF's. Our deciding factor was very simple: Adobe puts a black box in place of a WipeOut, whereas the delivered .pc3 does not.

• 1 month later...

$83 for a DWG to PDF printer???? That would be a hard pill to swallow for something that comes with AutoCAD. Sure you can batch plot DWGs to PDFs but without opening them I would not trust their layout to be ready to plot to PDF without opening them, that is unless I created them. I have learned not to trust others around me when it comes to CAD drawings.