-PURGE Command

pedro gonçalves

Hi everybody,

I'm using the -PURGE command to diminuish my drawings size. I'm just choosing the ALL option after hitting the command so i can free as much as possible.

But i'm worried about what it can actually do to my drawings, cus the free space i'm getting is huge. In one particular drawing there's almost 25mb of free space now, and the original file size was 31mb...

Can it be deleting things that i'll be missing later?

I'm also using the normal PURGE command and AUDIT command after the -PURGE command.

Thank you all,

Best Regards,

Pedro Gonçalves

On the very first use of -Purge you should get rid of only Regapps. On the second use is when you specify the All option. Then Audit and finally save.

You are getting rid of "unreferenced" items. If they were needed they wouldn't show up as such. Consider them to be "orphans".

as ReMark says, you are only deleting unused items. What you have to be aware of though is this will include any items not yet used but already in the drawing for intentional future use.

Sorry, but I disagree with the above ^ ^ ^. -Purge first. Regapps. All. Audit. Save.

I know the dialog does not allow you to purge regapps, but what is the purpose of purging regapps first using -purge, and then doing a "purge all"?

OK...I found it.

AutoDesk University 2007 - "How to Clean Anything in AutoCAD" by Helen Gorina of HLW International.

Quote: "...the ALL option does not include regapps." It's on the fourth page of the handout near the bottom.

Edited by ReMark

Quote: "...the ALL option does not include regapps."

OK, I wasn't questioning that. I was just curious about your specification of the order of the operations.

On the very first use of -Purge you should get rid of only Regapps....

I don't think the order is important.

If you are worried about purging a block or something else that then frees up a RegApp, then just repeat each call to "-purge" a few times in your macro. ;-)

Edited by rkmcswain

FWIW -

I've been using a simple LISP call to -PURGE for years to remove regapps.

In an effort to streamline some things, I stumbled upon this post by Kean, which has inspired me to write an adaptation that employs DocManager.DocumentCreated + Document.CommandWillStart event handlers in order to both clean unused regapps at drawing open, and any Save* Command calls.

Why bother with porting to .NET when I could write a simple Visual LISP reactor-based version?

Simple... Because the .NET adaptation is on average +/-30% faster. :thumbsup:

Thank you very much for all the answers. In my opinion i can clean my drawings with a process of purge and audit that runs like this: -PURGE REGAPPS, -PURGE ALL, AUDIT, PURGE.

This way i could clean my drawings of 10mb each at least. There was one that had a size of 31mb and i cleaned him to 5,5mb without destroying important things.

So i think that the order of purge options and audit may be important because i'd never had cleaned so much off my drawings without the process above. I've tried other processes and it didn't clean so well.

I thought that too. But the fact is that some layers called something like "Audit Bad Layer" appear after running the AUDIT command, and only PURGE can delete them. They don't appear in the layer list but thei're there and PURGE command cleans them.