Keeping original layers when converting a 3D to 2D

ADSK2007

Hello Lispers

I do a lot of 3D modeling with AutoCAD and so far I been using solprof to convert my models from 3D to 2D drawings creating plans & elevations

What solprof does is creating 2 separate layers and separates solid lines from the hidden lines (which is great) however, it loses the original layers that was used for each solid. My question; Is it possible to keep the original layers after a 3D is converted to a 2D drawin? We spend a lot of time assigning back the layers to the 2D shapes again. btw, we are using AutoCAD 2010

Any help is much appreciated

How do you create Plan and Elevations (Not sections) using SECTION command?
Here: http://exchange.autodesk.com/autocad/enu/online-help/search#WS1a9193826455f5ffa23ce210c4a30acaf-666c.htm

Using the OOTB section tools doesn't mean you have to put a plane through objects. You can set your plane to not interfere with any geometry which will create your Elevation. Same with a Plan View. Now this won't give you the layers you're after (I think, but not 100% positive), but it will generate these Elevation and Plan views automatically, giving you the ability to auto-update as well. What you're after will require a workaround no matter what. AutoCAD has always had its own way of doing things with views like this.

Maybe Lee Mac can shine some light on this ? Is it possible to do this with lisp?
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

StykFacE

Thank you for your reply and the link you provided - I did take a look at it and tried it myself however; I have two things to ask:

1- Certainly using Section and section object is not my prefferable way of doing elevations as it is extremely slow even on my Super fast BOXX machine - The Solprof may be "the ooooold way of doing things" but it is certainly extremely fast and accurate

2- I did not understand why you laughed at my last post when I asked Lee Mac to take a look? I do have a lot of respect for him as he is extremly good in CAD programming

Please don't take me wrong, I really appreciate your replies and respect your knowledge too but I still don't have an answer for my original question

Note: The SECTION command does not keep the layer information

Best Regards

Adsk2007

I guess I'm not the man who can give you what you need/want. I will retire my efforts. I'm sure someone else will have a solution for you.

*EDIT*

I laughed because you are like many others who sign up on this board, and immediately direct a question for Lee Mac to solve your problems with free programming services. It's just typical is all and always makes me smile. He's a very kind person to the community so he might help out.... if he reads every post of every thread. But I'm sure if you make a small contribution to the donation part of his website, he'd be of much better service to you.

;)

StykFacE

Well, I really didn't know people come here to get free lisp routines from him and I must assure you I am not like that at all - As you can see I am a new guy with not many posts and certainly

didn't know about what you mentioned above.

When I said "I do have a lot of respect for him as he is extremly good in CAD programming" Its because I have been to his website and donated money for a problem he helped resolving

I do not look for free coding - all I asked was if it can be done through lisp - I apologize if my question seemed to you like I want a quick solution

Regards

Adsk2007

ReMark

Thank you for helping with this thread - What I want to know: is it possible to apply the same layer names used to create the 3D model to generated 2D drawings after SOLPROF or Flatshot operation is done?

Regards

Adsk2007

Look at this if it works for you ...

CLICK

Especially "Layer. Sets the layer. Select an existing layer, or select *LayerByObject* to split the block component onto a separate layer. If you want to add a customized prefix or suffix to the *LayerByObject* name, click New Layer Name Settings to open the New Layer Name dialog box. (2D and 3D section blocks only)"

sevdo2000

You are gooood - Thanks a lot, this is exactly what I needed - However; when working with section plane, I noticed a huge amount of cpu usage trying to move the section plane to where i need it to be - This issue also got resolved when I closed down my palettes (especially "properties" palette) - Seems like AutoCAD goes through a hard time when palettes are open

Anyway, thank you :)

Adsk2007