dimension in paper space ? - best practice ?

jkristia

I’m trying to do the following and I’m not sure what would be the best way do it.

I have of course a drawing of an object in model space, now on the layout I want the full object in one view port and a close up of port of it in another view port.

What I did was to create the 2 view ports, zoom and pan the model in the second view port, then added dimensions to both.

The problem is that those dimensions are not really attached to anything, meaning if I move the model or change zoom within the view port then I have to do the dimensions over (or at least move them)

Any suggestions on how to do this? Is there a way to for the dimensions added to a view port to be locked to the model position and zoom level in the view port ?

Jesper

Since you have already gone and added some dimensions this might be of interest to you as well. It too comes directly from AutoCAD 2009 Help:

"With DIMREASSOCIATE, you can select one or more dimensions and step through the extension-line origin points of each dimension. For each extension-line origin point, you can specify a new association point on a geometric object. Association points determine the attachment of extension lines to locations on geometric objects."

When you run into a problem your first reaction should always be to consult AutoCAD's own Help file. While it may not answer all your questions chances are if the question is in regard to how a specific feature works, the Help file may hold valuable clues to solving the problem. In this case I looked first for "dimensions" then scrolled down the list until I came to "associative". I hope this helps.

Thank you ReMark, I appreciate your comments. I was reading about re-associate after I posted my question, however, this seems a bit cumbersome to manually update the dimensions in paper space just because you move the model (or zoom) in the viewport,

So my question is still open - is the ANY way to do this, or should dimensions as a general rule always be added in model space ?

When you think of it, if you do however move or rescale a drawing with dimensions in MS, wont you again rearrange these dimensions to have a better presentation in PS. you will end up almost redoing your Dims right?

As a general rule in dimensioning for us, its really almost a 50-50 for PS and MS, both having its advantages where they are located so its on a case per case basis. there are two recent threads that are related to this topic. maybe you would like a quick brose on them.

Are you working for a company? My company insists on all dimensions being in model space - with no exceptions.

Although striving for optimal results, I sometimes make exceptions :).

If its for your coursework or something then decided which suits your goals I suppose.

I will read through the threads, thanks.

No I'm not working in the CAD industry, this was more to satisfy my own curiosity. I'm playing/learning CAD 'just for fun'

What I did was to create the 2 view ports, zoom and pan the model in the second view port, then added dimensions to both.

The problem is that those dimensions are not really attached to anything, meaning if I move the model or change zoom within the view port then I have to do the dimensions over (or at least move them)

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Hi jkristia

Try typing DIMREGEN and press enter. In most cases it works.

I see that you're using AutoCAD 2009 - in that case you can use Annotative Dimensions, that way you dimension in Model Space and can immidiatly see if the dimension go wacko when you move or alter the objects. You can also control their visibily depending on the scale of the viewports.

There are loads more to say about annotative dimensions, do a search here and you'll find lots.

I just did a simple test and DIMREGEN works - thank you very much.

I haven't figured out yet how the Annotative Dimension works, but maybe I will (should) take a look at it.