Inventor 2011 IGES Thread Export Problem

vkmaynard

Cosmetic threads or modeled threads?

My guess is cosmetic (picture texture that sort of looks like threads). Zoom in and see if you have real threads (v-notch geometry).

Those threads are just an image map that Inventor applies to give the appearance of threads. They're not really there - it's just a smooth face of the appropriate diameter, as far as exporting goes. If you take a look in the Autodesk exchange, though, you can download an app - made by Autodesk - that will convert your threaded hole features into actual modeled threads. You can export those as actual geometry.

Problem solved thanks to PhilippeLeefsma Senior Developer Consultant.

He sent a link to the correct version for 2011.

Note: This tool converts a Thread Festure not a Hole Feature using a thread.

Thanks Philippe!!

One last problem. I cannot use this on o.125" plate with any thread size. I get an error message

---------------------------

Modelization Error

Failed to create CoilFeature... Try with a bigger Pitch Offset value

OK Cancel

Huh. That's ... interesting.

I think it's got something to do with the sketch that's getting used as a template for the coil feature, but I'm not positive.

Looks to be the case.

As soon as I turned it back into a standard part, Thread Modeler worked out just fine.

That part though, it doesn't really need to use any of Inventor's sheet metal tools, so there's no need to make it as a sheet metal part.

Once you've used Thread Modeler you can't convert back to sheet metal, JD. Features are incompatible, unfortunately. Although ... this brings up another point: when you convert to .IGS, you're going to be losing all the tooling stuff that Inventor builds into the sheet metal parts. Your flat pattern, bend angles, etc., aren't going to come through. You'll just get a model, so you're really not giving away anything to just make the sheet metal part, then convert to a standard part and do the threads afterwards.