• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperCAD

• ReMark

• GypsyQueen

• Teeds

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Over the years I've been titled as an Engineer, Design Drafter, Designer, Drafter, Senior Design Drafter, CAD Tech, and CAD Manager (no, I'm not 108 years old, some of these were concurrent) but not necessarily in that order.

I don't care what they call me so long as they let me draw my "pitchers" (a customer once asked in a fax for the guy that "did them fancy 3d pitchers fer me last time").

I tell people i'm a design draughtsman.

Im a draughtsman.

And most of the time I have to design things.

Simple.

It sounds cooler the way all y'all across the pond spell it!

I've gone Trainee Technician, Structural Technician, Technician, now Junior Technician. Depends on company and sector, i.e. i'm on almost double wages now to when i was trainee, but Technician in many companies is seen as "on way to become engineer", if you're not, then your title reflects that.

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on your area of work. If you're designing products ect then designer should be in your job title.

If you're working in architecture for example and producing drawings from preliminary sketches then you can be classified as a CAD Draftsman.

If your area of work involes co-ordinating services and making things fit, then CAD Technician would be appropriate.

Me personally, Im a CAD Monkey. I get told what to draw from a mark up and then i work for banannas.

Well I have told people in the pub who ask what I do that 'I just draw lines and boxes'.

I've been asked the same thing, and with a similar response, but have added to it with "and sometimes I get to colour them in". And as for the original question, I refer to myself as a mechanical draftsman/designer. It's implied these days that we all do it with CAD, but it still is handy to know how to use paper and pencil. PS, when you get a new recruit in the office, ask them to find you some compass lead!

PS, when you get a new recruit in the office, ask them to find you some compass lead!
... and wait for the question 'What's a compass?' :lol:

... and wait for the question 'What's a compass?' :lol:

"you know, it's that thingy with the arrow and I think there's an N and S on it, and maybe a couple other letters..."

Bah, compasses are for wusses. Real men use a theodolite and do an astro survey from the sun. Tracking...tracking...tracking...TIP! Sorry, my field artillery surveyor's training came rushing back for a second.

Sorry, my field artillery surveyor's training came rushing back for a second.

HOOAH! (former Army, '96-04)

I gotta tell this story since you guys mentioned compasses and field training and such. Supercad's comment about the thingy with the arrow reminded me of this.

I was a member of a local search and rescue team for about 8 years. We got called out one weekend to assist with a search for a little kid who had wandered off in a wilderness area. Well, the local folks were already out searching when we arrived (took about 3 hours to get to the search site) so we began filling various support functions. The rather unenviable task of "Logistics Officer" fell to me which meant it was my job to keep track of the personnel and equipment we had on hand at any given time and assign these assets to teams as needed. In any case, turns out the lost child belonged to a local celebrity and politician, so we had quite a crowd of volunteers from all over the area, some there to actually help, some to just be part of the spectacle. The most notable of the latter group were 6 "twenty-somethings" who by-passed the parking area and rolled right up in front of our communications vehicle (in their very expensive BMW), jumped out and demanded to see the incident commander. He had his hands full, so a uniformed deputy from the local sheriff's office and myself went to greet these folks and see what was up. Turns out that they wanted to join the search, and were convinced that one of the girls had a psychic connection to the "lost person". Not wishing to be impolite, I started into my usual speech on what they could do if they really wanted to help. Things like go back home or camp and get some proper clothing (sturdy shoes, long pants, hats, etc), water, food, flashlights, a compass or two...that sort of thing. These kids were dressed like escapees from a hippy factory. Long dresses on a couple of the girls, shorts and tank tops on the rest, and of course sandals or flipflops for footwear. Keep in mind that this part of Arkansas is quite rugged and steep, lots of blackberry vines, saw briars, thistles, and other thorny plants, and the usual assortment of snakes and other creepy crawlies.

Well, the self appointed leader of this bunch quickly informed me that they had all they needed in the way of equipment, and wouldn't need a compass at all. One of them even asked what it was and one of his comrades told him that it was "that thing with the letters on it that spins around and points some direction". I asked to see what they had and they produced a satellite phone, a handheld GPS, and two bota bags filled with wine (according to this guy), and asked if anyone there had some more so they could refill the two they had emptied on the way there. At this point the deputy I mentioned leaned over and whispered "keep them talking for a few minutes", stepped away and began speaking into his radio. Shortly after, several more uniforms showed up, this group were all given field sobriety tests, and were all hauled away. Turns out their bota bags (empty and full) didn't contain wine after all. All four had whiskey.

It was one of the more humorous moments of my SAR career. Just thought I'd share it. Un-hijacking thread now...on with proper titles for cad users.

Good hijack Jack!

Your story reminds me of the old phrase ...

Old age and deceit always wins out over youth and enthusiasm

:P