Proper title for CAD users?  

106 members have voted

1. 1. Proper title for CAD users?

• CAD Technician
    • CAD Designer
    • CAD Drafter
    • Other (specify)

Good hijack Jack!

Your story reminds me of the old phrase ...

Old age and deceit always wins out over youth and enthusiasm

:P

Hey! Who you calling "old"?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SuperCAD

• ReMark

• GypsyQueen

• Teeds

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey! Who you calling "old"?

Well ... I resemble that statement! :D

and they definitely sound younger than most of us!

Well ... I resemble that statement! :D

and they definitely sound younger than most of us!

LOL...they were my friend. I think the oldest one was 25...maybe.

Drafting, building, now use AutoCAD designing.

Drafting and fabricating tanks, chemical systems, piping, etc., for years, is the backbone of my knowledge, now all my work is done on a PDA, laptop or workstation.

I don't even need an eraser!

Drafting, building, now use AutoCAD designing.

Drafting and fabricating tanks, chemical systems, piping, etc., for years, is the backbone of my knowledge, now all my work is done on a PDA, laptop or workstation.

I don't even need an eraser!

Do you still have an electric eraser, and better yet, one of the sharpeners for the long rubber bit that went in them?

• 2 months later...

someone that is entry level is a technician

someone that just draws what is in front of them is a draftsmen

someone that thinks is a designer

:lol: I will have to correct my statement.

A designer is someone that should know what they are drawing!

I refer to the unknowing as Cadflunkies! and some other choice words when I get plans from them and have to make it work.

i dont consider technician to be entry level.

there are guys in my office with over 10 years expierience and their job title is technician.

in my company this is what a technician does:-

Technicians produce detailed design and layout drawings for construction projects. They prepare drawings using AutoCAD.

They also use computers for planning work, keeping records, administration and figure work.

Technicians carry out some measurement work. This includes taking measurements of completed work on-site so that payments to contractors can be calculated.

i dont consider technician to be entry level.

there are guys in my office with over 10 years expierience and their job title is technician.

in my company this is what a technician does:-

Technicians produce detailed design and layout drawings for construction projects. They prepare drawings using AutoCAD.

They also use computers for planning work, keeping records, administration and figure work.

Technicians carry out some measurement work. This includes taking measurements of completed work on-site so that payments to contractors can be calculated.

Shoot, that describes me ... but then I'm self employed so I do it all, including sweep up after the cat.

I still think I am a pixel pusher. o:)

See sig quote below ...

I believe it all depends on what they know about the work they are doing. AutoCad is only a tool and as good as the person using it, a drafter just draws what they are told thats it, a designer actually needs to think about how the layout will be and set things up.....so CAD USER may be more appropriate.

Ok here's my two cents...

CAD User = CAD Technician

Someone who has the ability to use CAD.

CAD Drafter = Next level up

Some one who has working knowledge of drafting standards and practices and uses that knowledge combined with a CAD program to produce design drawings.

CAD Designer = Level after CAD Drafter

One who has the knowledge to design in the discipline applied to and utilizes CAD to accomplish the design. Sometimes cleaned up by a CAD Drafter or CAD Technician sometimes not.

or

One who can customize CAD program with automation that makes the user, no matter what type of user, more efficient. Sometimes titled as CAD Manager.

Well that's about as organized as my brain can get this afternoon.

You know - when you read ads in the paper and they say Electrical Engineer you can be fairly certain what kind of skills are expected of you. Not so with CAD positions. They run the full spectrum of skill levels and expectation levels. I have seen jobs listed as CAD Operator and the skill level they wanted was that of an engineering designer with cad programming abilities for $10/hr. Well...needless to say they will be going a very long time before they fill that position!:shock:

• 3 weeks later...
what's a CAD ENGINEER then..?

does this help?

A tourist walked into a pet shop and was looking at the animals on display. While he was there, another customer walked in and said to the shopkeeper, "I'll have an CAD monkey please."

The shopkeeper nodded, went over to a cage at the side of the shop and took out a monkey. He fitted a collar and leash, handed it to the customer, saying, "That'll be $5000." The customer paid and walked out with his monkey.

Startled, the tourist went over to the shopkeeper and said, "That was a very expensive monkey. Most of them are only few hundred dollars. Why did that one cost so much?"

The Shopkeeper answered, "Ah, that monkey can draw in CAD - very fast, clear layouts, no mistakes, well worth the money."

The tourist looked at a monkey in another cage. "That one's even more expensive! $10,000! What does it do?"

"Oh, that one's a Design monkey; it can design systems, layout projects, mark-up drawings, write specifications, some even calculate. All the really useful stuff," said the shopkeeper.

The tourist looked around for a little longer and saw a third monkey in a cage of its own. The price tag around its neck read $50,000. He gasped to the shopkeeper, "That one costs more than all the others put together! What on earth does it do?"

The shopkeeper replied, "Well, I haven't actually seen it do anything, but it says it's an Engineer."

unfortunately I stole it from somewhere.

Seemed appropriate to give to my Cad Monkey (along with a "speak no evil" carved monkey) for her recent 30th birthday though. :)

CAD User = beginning monkey, knows CAD software only

Drafter = one with actual drafting knowledge, knows CAD software

Designer = one with actual drafting knowledge and know how things are built, can design solutions to problems with CAD

Technician = someone in a technical hands on trade, electronics, etc. But not involved with CAD.

(A person with an Engineering degree only is in limbo, they can't call themselves an Engineer, however the employer can.)

Engineer in Training = one with an engineering degree that has passed the EIT exam.

Engineer = one with an engineering degree AND their PE

These days the drafting and design work is assumed to be done on CAD software. Putting the CAD in front of the title is like calling an accountant a "Excel Accountant".

My $0.02 anyway.

CAD Operator - Entry Level, working underneath a manager or engineer.

CAD Draughtsman - Person with working knowledge with the discipline they are in

Design Draughtsman - Person who has the design solution ability with extensive knowldge over several disciplines.