Rendwr in AutoCAD R14

johnmtb

Dear All,

I have AutoCAD R 14 and could not install it on my new Windows 7 Computer although other older programs, not 64 bits, can install normally.

I joined www.justanswer.com and they provided the following:

“First you need this: http://boringtrousers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/cad-files-new.zip (copy and past the link into your browser to download).

Alright, now do you have AutoCAD installed on a 32-bit, Windows XP system already? Go copy it from C:/Program Files/. It’s the folder named “AutoCAD R14″.

Put it on a flash drive, and copy it to your windows 7 C:/Program Files/ (NOT Program Files 86x).

Now, copy the files out of the .zip file I gave you at the beginning, and put them in the AutoCAD R14 folder on your windows 7 64-bit machine.

Right-click on the file called “acad”, go to Properties>Compatibility. Set it to run in compatibility mode for Windows XP Service Pack 3, and check the box that makes it run as Administrator.

Hit OK and double-click ‘acad’”.

Which I did and now AutoCAD R 14 works on my new Windows 7 Computer. However, I cannot use ‘Render’, or any associated command.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

john

Nice piracy tip: what next, how to launder money?RENDER is probably looking for DLLs that are not system registered, it's not built into the acad.exe file.

There are many free AutoCAD R14 clone programs that run fine with Win7 and you can keep your DWG files to boot. That might be the better way to go IMHO

pendean,

that is not helpful. there is no piracy involved here, i spent $3,500 in 1996 for AutoCAD R14 and need to know why i have to buy a new version because Windows 7 will not install it properly.

regards,

john

I have a copy of R12 laying around and I've never been able to get it installed on any Windows 7 machine. I want to say even Vista wouldn't let me either.

What you can try, is downloading and installing a Virtual Machine. Freebies are here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Hope this may shine some light for you.

It is a fact of modern life that software companies cannot and will not support software they consider to be old. Now it is one thing to hang on to your refrigerator, or car, or 35mm SLR camera for 16 years and expect it to be fully functional but software is a whole other story. BTW...some of the code, such as that for Express Tools, is 16-bit and will not run on a 64-bit system. Be thankful the bulk of the program is 32-bit and you can run it at all.

Do yourself a favor and find/download Draftsight by dassault systemes. It is a fully functional 2D AutoCAD-clone that will read and write to the 2010 DWG file format. And what is really nice is it is FREE. Yep, you heard that right....FREE. There is even a free PDF manual one can download as well. Users will find that many of the commands are very similar to those of AutoCAD.

Dear All,

thank you for the info, i will try installing the virtual machine. unofrtunately, i use 3D with rendering a lot, so i must have that available.

regards,

john

• 6 years later...
On 11/3/2012 at 10:42 PM, ReMark said:

It is a fact of modern life that software companies cannot and will not support software they consider to be old. Now it is one thing to hang on to your refrigerator, or car, or 35mm SLR camera for 16 years and expect it to be fully functional but software is a whole other story. BTW...some of the code, such as that for Express Tools, is 16-bit and will not run on a 64-bit system. Be thankful the bulk of the program is 32-bit and you can run it at all.

Do yourself a favor and find/download Draftsight by dassault systemes. It is a fully functional 2D AutoCAD-clone that will read and write to the 2010 DWG file format. And what is really nice is it is FREE. Yep, you heard that right....FREE. There is even a free PDF manual one can download as well. Users will find that many of the commands are very similar to those of AutoCAD.

Not any more ..

This thread is pretty old.

Still free for MAC and Linux.

Paid version for Windows are $99 per year for basic.