A couple of beginner questions..

MVa12

Hello,

I am a new member to the site, so first of all thank you for any and all future help.

I have enrolled in a 3 day, 24 hr AutoCAD class that is scheduled to start later this month. I have been given access to the online materials, so I've decided to learn on my own until the class begins.

First beginner's question: when drafting lines using coordinates, the first coordinate is laid down fine, for example 16, 16... but when I enter the next coordinate, say 16, 32.. the second value is interpreted as an angle, and not a Y-axis point. Any idea one what I am doing wrong?

Secondly, a more broad question: I am a product engineer at my company, and I will be creating system diagrams & engineering files such as the ones attached. The first example is a wiring diagram, the other two are typical files created for product reference before installation on-site. Based on these docs, are there any tutorials that somewhat focus on this type of work? Would it behoove me to upgrade to Mechanical/Electric? What is the difference between the two, and which one is more closely-related to my type of work?

Thanks again for any help you all may provide me!example2.jpg

example.jpg

example3.jpg

Welcome to CADTutor. :)

Good idea getting the jump on your course materials, no reason to put it off.

No time like the pleasant.

The more you know going into the class the better.

You might want to try using DYNAMIC INPUT & turning on your POLAR or ORTHO TRACKING,

with the F8 or F10 buttons respectively. I rarely use cartesian coordinate data entry, I am pretty sure

you will enjoy using those tools.

I would suggest that you spend an hour or so working through some of the video tutorials

on the forum, by clicking the TUTORIALS link in the top right corner.

I hope you enjoy cad, I can't get enough of it, try as I do. :D

Hey Dadgad,

Thank you for the very prompt reply! I am just following the lessons from the book.. so that is why I'm currently using coordinate data entry.. I'm sure later in the course it will get into more practical commands! I will play around with the settings that you mentioned though, as well as look through the videos here. Thanks!!

As for the second portion of my initial post, any comments?

I'm excited to learn such an expansive program!

... just my luck. I just noticed the tip of the day answers my question! It was meant to be to join today :D

It used to be very simple. Enter a coordinate and AutoCAD interpreted it as an absolute coordinate. Enter a coordinate preceded by "@" (the at sign) and AutoCAD interpreted it as a relative coordinate. This simple rule changed when dynamic input was introduced and now the interpretation of coordinates is contextual. For example, when you draw a rectangle using RECTANG, the coordinate for the second point is interpreted as absolute with dynamic input turned off and as relative with dynamic input turned on. Really, try it and see.

Fortunately, there's a new coordinate prefix that forces an absolute coordinate, even when AutoCAD decides you want a relative one. Precede any coordinate with "#" (the hash sign) to force an absolute coordinate.

A serendipitous moment, you are fulfilling your destiny. :D

You definitely want to learn to stand before you attempt a Felix.

The discipline specific versions offer appropriate tools in addition to all the stock Autocad Vanilla ones.

I will defer to those in the fields you mention, as to the relative merits for your goal.

ReMark & StykFacE..

Thanks for the response. I believe i should be fine with vanilla AutoCAD.. at least for the next year or so. thanks again guys!!

ReMark & StykFacE..

Thanks for the response. I believe i should be fine with vanilla AutoCAD.. at least for the next year or so. thanks again guys!!

No, you are absolutely correct. Stick with vanilla AutoCAD for now. If you ever feel that you might want to try it, at least you know it exist. AutoCAD will still be all you need to produce the drawings you need.