AutoCAD 2013 Increasing File Sizes

DashaB

Oh i saw it, but I have a feeling that whatever he did, he did in 2012...

If he got the filesize down THAT MUCH in 2013, it would be awesome, but i'm afraid that thats probably not the case...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DashaB

• ReMark

• Dadgad

• samifox

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Level 2_11 file size_3.jpg

Just repeated it.

When I tell anyone here that I accomplished a task you can rest assured I am not lying. When I have failed to do something I attempted I make that known as well. Ask around.

I don't think you're lying and I don't doubt you at all. All i want is to be able to recreate the same results and finally finish messing with this stupid file and go about my business, because I've wasted too many work hours trying to solve this problem.

I don't doubt for a second that you did it, I am surprised to see that you use AutoCAD DWG Launcher though to open your files. :beer:

Time for this boy to hit the shower and the hay, I'll check back in the morning though curious what you used, but not so curious that I care to devote any more time watching my machines crash. :D

BTW...it was saved in AutoCAD 2010 file format and not in any legacy file format.

Go to my Profile and post a visitor message that includes your email address. I'll send you the actual drawing file so you may view it yourself. When you are satisfied come back here and I'll tell you what I did. No B.S.

I don't mind sharing. For a moment there I thought you might have wondered if I was attempting to pull some sort of trick on you. I wasn't.

I opened the file, which did take about 30 seconds on my home computer (not the same setup as work but close), then I did a DXFOUT. Opened a new drawing and did a DXFIN. Saved the drawing which actually grew the file size. Closed the drawing. Reopened the drawing and saved it again. File size reduced. Done. Repeated this a second time to confirm the procedure was indeed valid and repeatable. Satisfied?

I'll have a beer. You're buying.

DXF is a file sharing format. I've had only a handful of opportunities to avail myself of the two commands. It was used as a trick of sorts to remove rubbish from a drawing. I would expect long time users of AutoCAD to remember as well as anyone who might get drawings from an outside source unable to save to a DWG file format.

Thank you Dadgad for your kind words but you over-rate my abilities.

Haha trust me, i did not think you were pulling a trick on me, I've just been extremely frustrated with this whole process because somehow, it became my responsibility to fix this for our entire company, and the longer it was not fixed, they would just sit there and complain about it lol..

So. I did exactly what you said on another drawing, same project and same problem, just different floor.. Original was 18.8MB.

After your trick, 12.5 MB, which is better, but not really the same result you had. I'll try re-running it again to see if that helps any.Capture3.JPG

Now that I made YOU the hero at your company that's going to cost you TWO beers. I have a cousin in Silver Springs. I'll call you when I get to town. And your phone number is?

You're entirely welcomed. It was a good exercise.

Regards,

ReMark

Ok, so after cleaning up a couple problem files company-wide, it looks like we are still having a problem (nnot with file size, any longer, but with copy and paste).

I thought that if the file size problem was resolved, the copy and paste problem would also become resolved, but I guess that's not the case.

ReMark, question for you.. When you do this DXF thing, does that remove anything from the drawing? We are running the copy and paste command in our working drawing, which has the file you saw as an xref and then a bunch of other information that we added. If i cut down THAT file size using your technique, do you think there will be lost data?

Sorry for the delayed response. Had a problem to solve. So any problems...so little brain power (me). LoL

I don't see how what I did would have any affect when using the copy/paste command, however, if you have been in the habit of back saving to 2007 file format there was a problem in that version with the command. I think it took a service pack or a hotfix to correct but I don't recall exactly which at the moment. I'm sure it is searchable though.