Work flow in the drafting office

jac12

I'm doing a CAD drafting course ( Civil ), but haven't got any real work experience. Could anyone kindly explain what a drafter do in a real work place. I understand that every office is different to another, I just want to know the general work flow. ( Base on "what" do you start drawing?) A somehow confusing question, any answer would be appreciated.

I posted this thread in the beginner's area, since this is a Management forum, I though you guys might have a better understand. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

An entry level draftsperson would most likely be given "redlines" to correct for a couple of weeks, so you will be given a chance to get a feel for the organizational setup and workflow at the office. Employers don't expect a beginner to slap out a 3D design of a new canal through the Suez peninsula on day one. (Well, usually not, anyway.)

You will probably be given a sketch or general info by the engineer/designer of what needs to be done. If you are new then you may be referred to similar work the firm has completed before so you get a feel or what is required. Once you think you have completed it, then I would suggest you print the drawing(s), and review them yourself, by marking off every part of it with a highlighter. Then fix the errors you find, print it again and check it again. Repeat the process until you are satisfied, then give it back to the engineer. He/she will then check it and either write on any corrections they need made or any additional info they want added. Then make the changes, print it, check it again etc, then give it back.

From my experience, anyone can use AutoCad if they try long enough. What makes the difference between an incompetent, average or good draftsman by and large is detail and checking.