Vince67

We have had some issues in the office regardingdrawing issues and revisions. I looked on this forum and found that many peopleare also confused about revisions. This is our Cad system. We have a standardset of directories under each project. They are Archive, Current, drgs-in,wblocks, xrefs. All drawings created are in the current directory. The filename is the drawing number followed by a -$. We use xrefs whenever a componentis typical for several drawings, i.e. architects backgrounds, notes, legends. Thesexrefs are saved in the xref directory. When we receive an updated drawing froma supplier/architect it is saved in the drgs-in directory under a sensible filestructure. That way anything we are sent is saved, unmodified. The xrefdirectory contains drawings that are repetitively used on our drgs. Typicallythese are building plans. The xrefs only contain what is in the model space fromthe architect and we change all colours to a faint grey. The linetypes arechanged to suit our standards. We draw in metric and architects tend to useimperial so linetype scale etc are changed to suit us. We retain the linetypes(i.e. hidden, centre etc). Underneath the model we write a string of text withthe information of where the xref was obtained from. The text contains the directoryand filename and revision. That way when you open your drawing with xrefattached there is a string of text at the bottom that tells you what architectdrg you are using. This text is created on layer defpoints so it won't plot.When we issue a drawing we save it into the archive directory under a directoryname suitable for the issue. The filename is saved as the project name (hyphen)drawing number (hyphen) revision. All xrefs are bound to the archived drg. Anyimages are copied into the archive directory and re-pathed. So now we have ourarchived file with the revision in the drg title bound and saved. Thesedrawings are never modified and are kept for reference only. We also save a pdfversion. We keep an AutoCAD copy as well as the pdf just in case further downthe line a client wants to revert back to a previously issued layout. As forrevision number/letters I believe that a drawing is always a unique document.That document can be issued for different reasons. i.e. Preliminary, Tender,Contract, Information, Draft, Costing etc etc. As far as I am concerned adrawing at 01 revision can be issued at any time of the project. So if I issuea drawing at Tender and there are no more changes then the same revision can beissued at Contract level. The revision numbers/letters on the drawing onlychange if the information on the drawing is changed. The purpose of issue isnot a drawing change. The purpose of issue is contained on the drawing issuesheet. If my drawing is issued at Tender I put a Tender issue block on thedrawing. If later it is issued for Construction then I will add a Constructionissue block above the Tender block on the drawing, but the revision will remainthe same. If a drawing is modified then the description in the revision boxesis added to the drawing. I leave all previous revision notes on the drawing asit shows the history and development of the drawing. Anyway thats what we do and it seems to work fine. We had an issue recently where a contract cad operator was changing 02 tender drawings back to 00 for contract issue. When you are on the shop floor working to a drawing and someone gives you a new drawing with a previous revision number on it you will be confused and may even ignore the new drawing thinking it is an error. A drawing serves to transmit information. That is its only purpose. The people building things from drawings don't care about complicated revision systems, they only want the latest drawing to work to. So 00 is superceded by 01 which is superceded by 02 etc. etc. (rant over)

I didn't realize so many people were confused about revisions.

Each company should have a policy in place dealing with the issue of how revisions should be handled.

Vince:

Defpoints? Wouldn't most people use the ability to create a layer that does not plot?

If my drawing is issued at Tender I put a Tender issue block on thedrawing. If later it is issued for Construction then I will add a Constructionissue block above the Tender block on the drawing, but the revision will remainthe same.

That sounds potentially problematic to me. If proceeding from tender to construction I would issue it as a new revision.

That sounds potentially problematic to me. If proceeding from tender to construction I would issue it as a new revision.

I agree with the OP that if there are no changes to a sheet, it is not a revision. It is a new issuance and should be noted as such.

Edited by RobDraw

I trust that you remove the revision clouds associated with prior revisions, so that if there are revisions on the drawing, only the latest ones are revclouded.

I agree, if the drawing is the same, albeit the issue purpose is different, it is not a revision.

It will have the newer date, as in ISSUED FOR CONSTRUCTION and date.

I would probably create a new layer specifically for those notes which you hide on the DEFPOINTS layer.

I'd say you're both right - kind of

I fully agree with your method, but the contractor shouldn't be touching your numbering system. If they want to issue drawings themselves with their own system, they should be adding their own title block

I worked in a control system contractor's office. Drawings arrived in with a client's title block and numbering system on them. We didn't touch this but added our own title block above for the duration it was with us (the file was locked at the client's office). Once we'd actually installed the modifications to their manufacturing plant we'd issue 'as installed' drawings for client approval. Once they were approved, and due to pass out of our hands, our title block and numbering system was removed from the file, the client revision number upped, and the file copied back to the client's system

yes previous revision clouds are removed. I love Defpoints layer, the trouble with other layers is that there is the opportunity for someone to click the no print icon and then it will plot. I set the colour of defpoints to cyan so on our drgs we know which is on defpoints. Looks like we all have individual ways of doing things, and for all of us if they work they are right. I just wanted to make sure what I do wasn't completely mad. thanks for replying.

Quit using Defpoints for a "No Plot" layer, that went away looong ago.

I agree, no changes no revision, no new revision for an Issuance.

Strix method is the proper way for a CLIENT to set there own revision method.

I have the pleasure of working with many architectural firms and have seen just as many different approaches to revisions and know if they are going to run into trouble later in the project with a particular system. I try to let them know that there is a better way, but it always falls on deaf ears.

As far as Defpoints goes, that layer is not as troublesome for me as it was in the past but it really isn't for us AutoCAD users to use for objects. I "Def"initely prefer using a distinct layer(s) set to no-plot.

One of my previous work places in college had a system I found very nice. They had a List of all issuences (they considered a drawing heading out of the office at any time an issuence with the exclusion of coordination) which they number 1, 2, 3 etc. If a change was made under a specific issuence and would mark that revision as Y.X. Y being the issuence the revision happened in and X being the revision number under that issuence. So 3.2 Would be the 2nd revision under the third issuence.

It essentially allows us to issue a drawing for permit with tender information on it, then re-issue the drawing for tender at a later date without making any changes. As mentioned above we did not want to add a revision as no changes were made. It allowed us to send out drawing packages with the architects requested revision and work at our own speed (we were typically a bit faster and were getting bottle necked at some points). It worked out extremely well for us, but to each is there own!

Strix method is the proper way for a CLIENT to set there own revision method.

The point I was trying to make is that you don't tamper with another party's title blocks and drawing numbers. If you want another number on a drawing, it goes in your own title block

I'm not saying the office I worked in was perfect either. Their issuing system was a nightmare. I managed to show them that they didn't actually have a controlled issue system, so the simplest solution was to issue all drawings with 'uncontrolled issue - for information only - contact (phone number) for latest issue' on them - until we got to installation drawings

My $0.05 worth

Preliminary PA PB PC

Tender A B C

Issued 0 1 2 3

A large consutling company issued rev's were 0 1 2 A come on guys get it right! How do we know which is the latest.

We stamp our drawings.

First. -PRELIMINARY- Not for Construction.

Second. -ISSUED FOR CONSTRUCTION-

Revisions for Preliminary drawings are denoted by letter (A, B, C, etc.).

Revisions for Issued drawings are denoted by number (0, 1, 2, etc.).

Like I said previously, each company should have their own standard and most importantly make that standard clear to the people who receive the drawings and be consistent!