Dynamic block increasing file size

mrdjezmin

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum and this is my first thread. So here goes:

I've developed a dynamic block for a standard bulb flat profile cross section using parametric constraints to alter the sizes of the profile. I also made six visibility states for altering the penetration type of the profile through a construction element. It works like a charm on smaller drawings, but on a typical master sectional drawing the file size increases up to 20 or so MB given to the fact that there are over 4000 copies of the block in the one drawing (the dyn block itself is around 100 KB). This makes the drawing almost impossible to work with as you may well imagine. I uploaded the block if you want to take a look at it.

Maybe I'm missing something here because I have searched online for similar problems and found very little occurrences of the same. I tried auditing, -purging, wblock to another file, everything I could find or think of nothing seems to help. Is it just the way it is with files containing so many dynamic blocks or is there a way to make it work. I would appreciate any help on this.

HP profile.dwg

I can't comment from experience but the quantity of blocks should be largely irrelevant. A dynamic block is obviously larger than a static one due to more information being stored but you still only have one block definition (the big bit). Each instance of the block has a limited amount of data, basically x,y,z, scale & rotation. A dynamic block will also have entries for each parameter but this should be nowhere near the amount of data required for that number of individual blocks.

Having said all that I haven't dealt with a block as complex as this one (very impressive) especially with the look up table/parametric parameters. My block designs mostly use what was available on 2008.

Hey up guys.... I believe its the parametric constraints within the block. I played with using these within some of my blocks and drawings but all it did was slow down my drawings so snail pace! so i don't bother. When im using my dynamic blocks (without parametric constraints) i can have 15,000 or more in one drawing and its still workable.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the comments guys.

JBullseye74, do you have any problems altering parameters (either vis states, size...) of multiple blocks simultaneously? In my drawings I can go up to 5 blocks at a time, otherwise the drawing goes "not responding" on me.

I respectfully disagree. 4GB of RAM and you are pushing around a drawing that exceeds 20MB? It's possible. Depends on what else is happening in the background.

I respectfully disagree. 4GB of RAM and you are pushing around a drawing that exceeds 20MB? It's possible. Depends on what else is happening in the background.

I do it quite often. 3GB usable.

I believe I qualified the statement accurately the first time. The two of you are not running the same hardware/software setup.

Depends on what else is happening in the background.

Maybe the drawing is corrupted in some manner.

What OS are you running?

These suggestions for speeding up AutoCAD were posted by GSXR1k at the AutoCAD Discussion forums. Maybe one of them is the culprit?

1. Dynamic UCS off (UCSDETECT change to 0 = off)

2. Use old layer dialog (LAYERDLGMODE change to 0 (1 = new layer dialog))

3. Do not autosave workspaces (WSSETTINGS)

4. Turn off roll over tips (ROLLOVERTIPS change to 0 = off)

5. Turn off quick properties (QPMODE change to 0 = off)

6. Set antivirus software to ignore AutoCAD extensions (DWG, DWT, LSP, DCL, ARX, etc etc)

7. set DRAWORDERCTL to 0 = off

8. Set LAYOUTREGENCTL to 0 = off

9 Turn off any palette transparency. (PALETTEOPAQUE)

10 Turn off SelectionCycling, SC button at bottom of screen

11 Set HPDLGMODE to 1 and/ or hpquickpreview to off.

12 Change ROLLOVERTIPS to 0 (off)

13 Set SHOWLAYERUSAGE to 0 (off)

I get your point, but the core question was, is it normal behavior for these blocks kind/size (the enormously enhanced file size, hence difficult, longer edibility)?

The same drawing with static block elements does not exceed 3 MB.

JBullseye74 stated that he has over 15k of Dyn blocks in his drawings and has no such problems. An interesting thing occurs while copying/pasting from other drawings that contain the same block. The "duplicate block definition ignored" comes up and the drawing is just dead. I solved it with simply renaming the source files block into something else (OK, takes about 5 min time, depending on the amount of elements selected) and it eliminates the duplicate definition. The idea I have now is to name portions of the blocks differently in the same drawing, but that doesn't eliminate the large file size problem. I don't know (that's way I'm asking) if any of you had these kind of increase in the file size=number of blocks cases and on what scale?

I'm on windows 7 professional

Let's back up a sec.

This problem is not confined to a single drawing is it? But the problem is somewhat selective since it happens only in drawings where you utilize this particular block or one of a similar nature. Is that correct?

No, I don't believe this is normal behavior for dynamic blocks. If it is not the system then it is either the drawing or the dynamic block. Those are the only two possibilities then right? So the question becomes how do we determine which it is. Can we come up with a theory and test it? I'd be willing to participate. I have access, at the moment, to AutoCAD 2013 and 2010.

Are there Xrefs attached by any chance?

I think it's the dynamic block. I made a completely new drawing with 1000 copies of the same block. The original file size (no altered blocks) is a little under 2 MB of size. The second file is a copy of the first one with 500 blocks altered (only visibility states, the dimensions are the same). Now the file size of the second one is almost 9 MB. Unfortunately I can't upload these files on the forum because of their size but if you are willing to do the same test or a similar one so we can compare it.

The OP provided his email address and we swapped emails. His included a drawing with a dynamic block having a total of six visibility states. There were 1000 blocks in the drawing. I ran his requested experiment using AutoCAD 2013 but saved the resultant DWG files to 2010 file format. Despite repeated attempts to force an exponential increase in the file size I was unable to duplicate the OP's problem. I don't believe the dynamic block itself is causing the drawing file size to balloon out of control but I cannot come up with a plausible explanation for what is happening. More testing is required.