Question on modelling

james120479

I'm currently working on a personal piece, producing the model of an aeroplane. I have my wings modelled perfectly and now need to cut a hole in the underside for the wheels. I am really struggling with this. Does anyone have any advice on how I could do this? There are more edges on my wheel support than on the wing at this point so can't simply extrude out and connect the edges. Does anyone have any tips?

2012-12-02 20_06_43-Spitfire06.max - Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2013 x64.jpg

Thanks

James

2012-12-02 20_06_04-Spitfire06.max - Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2013 x64.jpg

>make backup

>delete the polygons on the air frame where the wheels come out of

>align wheels into position and use target weld to connect vertices

>you may need to use cut tool to make more vertices.

>Profit?

>you may need to use cut tool to make more vertices.

Cheers for your reply Raudel, i'm guessing it is this the above I am having problems with. I have quite a nice curve and shape along the wing which I lose when I add more edge loops. I end up with flat faces where I add edge loops. Do you know if there is a way I can add more edges/vertices but keep the smooth shape I have?

Cheers for your reply Raudel, i'm guessing it is this the above I am having problems with. I have quite a nice curve and shape along the wing which I lose when I add more edge loops. I end up with flat faces where I add edge loops. Do you know if there is a way I can add more edges/vertices but keep the smooth shape I have?

adding more vertices may be suicide in a way..

make backup

select a number of polygons in the area, click MSmooth.

it is good using smoothing groups, if you have them then

shift+click Msmooth under subdivisions.

i gotta run...

select a number of polygons in the area, click MSmooth

very nice... thank you - will take a look at this properly tonight but looks like it might do what I need. Very much appreciated

James

Do you know if there is a way I can add more edges/vertices but keep the smooth shape I have?

Use the "Swift Loop" tool to add edge loops, but hold down the 'Shift' key while adding them and you should be able to keep your smooth shape. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJdMLmQRiE

By the way, do you really need that many edge loops? It seems to me that you could probably delete at least half of them and still retain your smooth shape. :unsure:

Use the "Swift Loop" tool to add edge loops, but hold down the 'Shift' key while adding them and you should be able to keep your smooth shape. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJdMLmQRiE

By the way, do you really need that many edge loops? It seems to me that you could probably delete at least half of them and still retain your smooth shape. :unsure:

the swift loop averages positions of vertices. because of this adding swift loops will not add smoothness which is what the user is asking for. "curves".

the swift loop will only add lines on the existing face...

De^ Ja vu....

Utilizing the Msmooth will give the desired result.

adding swift loops will not add smoothness which is what the user is asking for. "curves".

Actually, the OP was asking how to add edges/vertices without distorting the smooth shape he has. That's why I suggested Swift Loop. And I didn't say it would add smoothness. I said it would add edge loops while still retaining the existing curvature of the model.

Watch the video. ;)

Cheers both. I gave Msmooth a try last night which seems to have worked quite well, i've managed to keep the shape of the wing anyway - I will give Swift Loop a try also later today - that's 2 new things i've learnt this week. Thank you

Cheers both. I gave Msmooth a try last night which seems to have worked quite well, i've managed to keep the shape of the wing anyway - I will give Swift Loop a try also later today - that's 2 new things i've learnt this week. Thank you

:excited:

goood