3DS keep crashing while render

bm23

I'm rendering this huge file, 720mb in size. Every time I render, there's like a 70% chance that 3ds will crash. It doesn't show any sign of crashing at all, no error message. The progress window will still run normally but no actual rendering is seen in the preview window. Therefore, there is absolutely no way to tell that the software has crashed until I notice that the preview window has been stagnant for a long period of time or the progress window shows an absurd number of hours, like upwards of 50 to 200 hours. Any help? I'm this close to punching a hole in my screen.

Are you using a workstation to do the rendering? If so, what are the specs?

Please confirm that this is indeed a 720 MB file you're attempting to render.

By workstation, you mean like a personal computer? If so, then yes. My current specs are core i7 3770k @4.4ghz, 32gb GSkills RipjawsX 1600 and Asus GTX560 OC. Yes, the file is 720mb. It's an architectural model, 3 floors complete with all furniture and display objects, and front+back garden. Here's a test render that i did.

architecture_design___preview_render_by_bm23-d5mlked.png

Are you using Mental Ray or Vray for rendering?

That's a pretty complex scene with lots of lights, glass, etc. What are your render settings?

Usually when Max crashes during a render it will give an error message. Are you sure it's crashing? It could be that it is just doing a whole lot of pre-processing before actually starting the rendering.

I'm using Vray. I'll get back to you on the exact settings since I'm in the middle of a render atm. I'm using Irradiance map and light cache with high preset. The render resolution is upwards of 2200x1900, though this actually doesnt make a difference as to whether the software will crash. I'm sure the software crashed because when I click cancel on the progress window, nothing happens. The time keeps counting. The only thing i can do at that point is to close the whole scene.

post your VRAY render settings.

What is your CLR Tresh?

if you are using the vray frame buffer it may be that you need more ram

My current specs are core i7 3770k @4.4ghz, 32gb GSkills RipjawsX 1600 and Asus GTX560 OC.

if you are using the vray frame buffer it may be that you need more ram

More than 32GB? :?

More than 32GB? :?

possibly :unsure:

Vray frame buffer....

Allows you to view all render elements in a single window and switch between them easily;

Keeps the image in full 32-bit floating-point format;

Allows you to perform simple color corrections on the rendered image;

Allows you to choose the order in which the buckets are rendered.

more than 32 gb i do not know, my 3 megabyte file turns into 4 GB of ram usage :glare: not to mention disk paging...

Did you ever get that render finished? :unsure:

Oh That's rich. :lol:

o:)

lets hope he got it done, or maybe he sent it to a rendering service provider.

tips---------------------------------------

*The use of an extremely low clr tresh will cause vray to work on details that are not really there, use test render to find a good low value that yields low time and good quality

*no need to use the vray frame buffer unless you're rendering elements as well

*press Ctrl+shift+esc to see your ram usage

*What is your hard drive paging size? if you have 32gb it should be set to 0 or else having that much ram is pointless.

* You can set your Vray dynamic memory limit to 0 and it will allow vray to use all the memory it needs.

here is a link to a vray render optimization pdf...

http://www.mediafire.com/?8dz1r127untd861