Penn Foster Student Suffering with Oleson Village Map!!!

AutoCad Student

Just wanted to say thank you again for all the good info on this site. I got my grade back and did very well. I had a good understanding of cad before I started but they layout what they want so bad. This website helped me piece it together.

• 1 month later...

Your trees are entirely outside the subdivision? Since the subdivision is located based upon the location of the starting benchmark then it is possible you got the coordinates for the benchmark wrong and this shifted the entire subdivision. I'd start by checking the location of the benchmark.

I started my oleson project over and followed the directions you had on these threads. It amazing how much easier it is when things are explained. Thanks alot i was able to draw the whole thing in a couple of hours instead of days. I'm stuck again on the trees. I followed your instructions and they are not showing up. after I insert tree block and put in coordinates it does not show up.

i checked and i have all layers on and unfrozen. still not showing. when i insert the tree block do i put it on layer 0 then move it to another layer or should i put it on the tree layer first?

You put the tree on the corresponding tree layer.

If it is not showing perhaps you used 0,0 as the basepoint for the tree when you created the block instead of picking somewhere (like the center) of the block itself. Not a good thing to do if 0,0 is lightyears away from where you really want to place the block.

yep that was it, thanks. no on to adding text. questions about the layers, when i select a layer it says no canvas exists please click canvas. also do i add each item to each layer i set up at the begining of the project?

I have never come across a message that says "no canvas exists....".

Your instructions tell you what layers are required and what objects need to be placed on those layers. Sometimes it is very obvious. For example, the subdivision boundary would go on the Boundary layer. Trees are shown on two layers; those that will remain and those that will be removed.

what size is the yellow boundry that goes around the subdivision with the trim around it? cant seem to find it anywhere.

Page 16 of the instructions. 36 minus 1, minus 1/2 = 34 1/2 (length). And 24 minus 1/2, minus 1/2 = 23 (width). That's before you scale it up.

Edited by ReMark

im also having trouble changing the size of the tree block from 15' to 10' diameter

This is covered on page 15 of your instructions. You are told to explode the original block, change the tree diameter then remake the block. Another option they should have mentioned would have been to use the block edit command or BEDIT for short. Start the command, pick the block and the block editor opens. Change the diameter of the circle representing the tree, save your changes and close the block editor. You now have a revised block substituted for the original.

just wanted to let you know that I received my grade on the oleson project and I got a 100! Wanted to thank you for all your help. I have a lot better understanding of the cad software now.

• 1 month later...

Hello and Thanks for the info.

I have try to follow your instruction, but when I typed: @113.66

Drawing the POB line.

Orthomode should still be disabled (off).

Start the Line command. Pick the endpoint of the reference line.

Let go of the mouse.

For the next point type, at the command line, @113.66

Assuming the line is there how do we verify the length and distance? Answer: we use the List command (one of a couple of options).

Type List at the command line then press Enter. When asked to select object pick the line that was just drawn. Press Enter.

A text window should appear listing all the information about the line. Check that the length and angle are correct.

That "page" as you refer to it is a screen shot of what would appear if you hit the F2 key after executing the LIST command on the previously drawn line.

When you typed the distance did you happen to press the Enter key after typing 113.?

Did you follow the instructions as regarding the setting of UNITS?

Edited by ReMark