Penn Foster Student Suffering with Oleson Village Map!!!

AutoCad Student

I thought I pretty much explained how to do it in that very same post you reference.

The center of the cul-de-sac is located using coordinates supplied in the project instructions which I believe are X=1421125.75 / Y=783525.60.

The cul-de-sac has a radius of 50' and the streetline width is also 50' (again, from the instructions).

The west streetline of SW 85th Avenue is 120' east of the subdivision boundary and it is also parallel to it. The east streetline would be parallel to the west streetline.

The "short line at the center" is the centerline of the street and is located equidistant between the two streetlines meaning it is 25' from both (straight down the middle of the road).

You should have been done with this project back in November. What happened, did you take a vacation or something?

• Like 1

i was suppose to but i got an extension which ends soon ,i was in the us on vaca december ....i have a problem creating the circle for cul d sac ,when i insert the circle it ends up odd places.And honestly i regret doing this course just because of the lack of tutoring expertise that pf is providing unless ure an undercover for dem lol .i cant post a picture to show u my bottle neck .

Edited by kingBenz

"...because of the lack of tutoring expertise that u r providing..."

Well that's gratitude for you. Very well then, I hope you get your drawing done correctly and submitted on time. Good luck.

BTW...are you Kerrol Louis Jr.?

Edited by ReMark

There may hv been a typo or sum .im referring to pf.they just put a project deh n lack good tutoring. U hv been wonderful man.sorry ,u may hv read wrong ,or typo on my end ,continue your good work bro.u rock wud never say such

Edited by kingBenz

I'm not so sure I believe you. However, I have attached a MS Word document to this post that lists all the things that require correcting in your drawing. Make of it what you will. Just to be clear, I overlaid your drawing on one by a former student who got a grade of 100 and overlaid it on my "master" version, as well, which was used throughout this thread to produce the numerous images that were attached to many of my posts. I also checked your drawing against the instructions students receive for each project from Penn-Foster. I bear you no malice but honestly you waited far too long to fix the many problems your drawing had and seemed reluctant to take well meaning advice provided to you by personal email and here at the student question forum.

FYI - It's been five months since you first requested assistance back on September 6th, 2015. Most students complete the Oleson Village project within two weeks to four weeks.

A review of your Oleson Village project drawing.docx

Edited by ReMark

I replied to both of your emails which I did not see until this morning. I explained what was wrong with your latest drawing and gave you explicit information on how logical the streetlines are laid out relative to the boundary of the subdivision. Much of what the student is being asked to draw can be accomplished by first getting the subdivision boundary correctly drawn up (it's four sided) then using the OFFSET command to create both the centerlines of five out of the seven surrounding streets and their streetlines as well. The same command can be used to create the lot lines for five out of the eight lots as well as the sidewalk, grassy strip and curb that fall within the subdivision for SW 85th Avenue and SW Village lane. Note that if a streetline width is 50 feet then the centerline will be equidistance from both or 25'. Or, put another way, locate the street centerline then use the OFFSET command to create the streetline on either side. The distance from one to the other should be the same for both sides.

One last thing.

As regards the title block and border. Once you have drawn it as per the instructions you need to scale it UP to fit around your subdivision. This is the old school method of doing these types of drawings but it does work. Don't leave the title block and border sitting down in the corner of your drawing at the original size (a postage stamp by comparison to the subdivision) as you will have points deducted from your grade.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I recently had a student message me regarding the title block and border asking for help drawing it. Of everything the student is asked to draw for this project the title block and border should be the easiest task to accomplish. The full instructions are on page 16 under the heading "Preparing the plat map for plotting." The student is given the overall size of the drawing (24x36), the minimum offset from the cutting edge to the border (1/2") and the offsets for the title block area at the bottom of the sheet. Note that I elected to increase the left hand offset from 1/2" to 1". I've reproduced them here for your benefit. Note: the colors I used are for display purposes only and may not be those called for in the instructions.

Oleson Village TB&B.jpg

Keep in mind that when you are finished the title block and border are going to be the size of a postage stamp compared to the subdivision or plat map. It has to be scaled up. A scale factor of 50 will do quite nicely. Once the title block and border has been saved as a block insert the block and specify the scale I just gave you then move the block into position around your plat map. Oleson Village and the surrounding streets should fit quite nicely in the area where you see the yellow "X" in the image above.

The red dashed line is considered the cut line. The cyan colored lines are the border. Got it? Good. Now go do it.

Warning: do NOT ask me to give my title block and border block. Ain't going to happen. No how...no way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am referring to the outline of the subdivision. I saw the offset distance for lines 2 and 3 to form the lots, but I never saw the distance of the offset for lines (1 and 4) that form the street around the subdivision. Thank you so much!

I had accidentally skipped a page of the thread, so when I just read back I found the answer. I do have one other question. When I am putting in my trees what do I set the scale number to?

Did you create a tree block as per the instructions or did you find a tree block at another website that you want to use? If you created a new tree block while in your Oleson Village drawing there should be no need to scale it.

I used yours, when I go to insert the tree do i just bring it down to where the crosshairs are on the center point? I have been putting them in with 15.00 as the scale. Can I change them all or do I have to put them in again. I think that I have cried more during this project then I did when I had my children. If it wasn't for your help on this forum, i would be in the fetal position sucking my thumb. And if I have to put these blasted trees in again I am really going to go nuts!

And apparently I have not put the center lines in for this drawing on the parameter of the subdivision. So if you can help with that also. SO OVER THIS PROJECT! Thanks

If you hold on a moment I'll switch over to my CAD computer so I can review my master copy of the drawing. Give me five minutes. Time now is 6:15 p.m. EDST

Where are you located?