Penn Foster Student Suffering with Oleson Village Map!!!

AutoCad Student

14 hours ago, MadCadLad said:

I can't find the ROW width of SW Kensington Place. Any idea how I can find this?

The information you seek is found on page 6 of the project PDF.  It says... "The final line that surrounds the Oleson Village subdivision is from the last surveyed point back to the POB of the subdivision. This line is the north right-of-way line for SW Kensington Place, which is 40 feet wide."

20 hours ago, MadCadLad said:

I can't find the ROW width of SW Kensington Place. Any idea how I can find this?

Check out the pdf and comments above

18 hours ago, Swatson9041 said:

Check out the pdf and comments above

It helps if one carefully reads the project instructions.  Many a student will quickly scan the document often resulting in missing key information.  

5 hours ago, ReMark said:

It helps if one carefully reads the project instructions.  Many a student will quickly scan the document often resulting in missing key information.  

The instructor said that information was missing from the text

3 hours ago, Swatson9041 said:

The instructor said that information was missing from the text

Missing and incorrect information.  So typical of Penn-Foster.  How do they manage to stay in business confounds me.  

3 hours ago, ReMark said:

Missing and incorrect information.  So typical of Penn-Foster.  How do they manage to stay in business confounds me.  

I agree I have had several issues!

I ended up with a 100%. I'm taking this course just for fun and something extra to tack onto the resume. Probably won't be taking another Penn-Foster course due to all the errors I've had in this one.

1 hour ago, MadCadLad said:

I ended up with a 100%. I'm taking this course just for fun and something extra to tack onto the resume. Probably won't be taking another Penn-Foster course due to all the errors I've had in this one.

What gets me is that if they know information is incorrect or missing how come they don’t fix it for other students?

• Like 1

It's possible that they were in the process of updating the project instructions and someone left out some of the pages while doing so.  That's why a review of the instructions, by a second person, before publishing a project PDF file would be recommended.  Just sloppy work all around in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

I would like to nominate ReMark as the most worthy candidate for that Project Proof Reader position.

You have clearly done a HELL OF A LOT MORE for a mind boggling number of Penn-Foster students on this forum

than the entire (might it be more than one miscreant?) P-F Team.  The fact that when the P-F instructors are asked questions they just routinely refer their poor students to CadTutor, speaks volumes in support of that assessment.

I am in total awe of your resolve and continued support of all the P-F students you have helped through the years!   :notworthy:  :beard:  :beer:

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your kind words, Dadgad.  However, in the words of the Civil War General Tecumseh Sherman, "I will not accept if nominated (re: Project Proof Reader position) and will not serve if elected."  😆

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Hi ReMark, 

Would you be willing to lend a hand to me on the plat map for Oleson Village?

I’ve never felt more stupid.

‘Thanks so much, 

‘Patti

10 hours ago, patti0916 said:

Hi ReMark, 

Would you be willing to lend a hand to me on the plat map for Oleson Village?

I’ve never felt more stupid.

‘Thanks so much, 

‘Patti

How may I be of service, Patti?

• Like 1

Good afternoon guys. I am working on the oleson village project. It seems this has been around for years. I have completed everything except the last few steps of creating a border and title blocks. Any tips would help thanks. 

Yes, you do have to create the benchmark symbol just as P-F has instructed.  Otherwise, they start deducting points which in turn affects your overall grade.  If you look at the symbol it is just a circle with a vertical and a horizontal line through it with opposite quadrants hatched.

Shown below is one simple method for creating the symbol.

1. Create a circle and two lines (in proper orientation).  

2. Move the lines using their midpoint to the centerpoint of the circle.

3. Hatch opposite quadrants using the "Pick points" button in the Hatch window.

BM_Symbol.PNG

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/28/2022 at 11:15 PM, John berry said:

Good afternoon guys. I am working on the oleson village project. It seems this has been around for years. I have completed everything except the last few steps of creating a border and title blocks. Any tips would help thanks. 

Simply follow the instructions and create the title block and border at a one-to-one scale.  Once you have done this, it will have to be scaled UP to fit around your drawing of the village site plan.  Note: The exact Scale Factor to apply is 50.  For further instructions regarding the drawing of the title block and border refer back to Page 14 (of this thread) and the 7th post down as counted from the top.  I hope this is of some value to you.

Edited by ReMark

ReMark, 

Thanks for the guidance thus far.

I’ll go with a few more questions and try to leave you alone.

1) The drawing units are asked to be set as “feet”, is this different from the past?

2) Does the BM symbol have to be a specific size diameter?

3) Am I missing where it notes the thicknesses of the individual lines that make up the plat?

If all of these are spelled out sorry for missing them, my head is spinning.

‘Thanks again!

Patti

In regards to your questions.

1. If you use the default AutoCAD template (acad.dwt) then you are already working in Imperial units (i.e. - feet and inches).

2. The size of the benchmark diameter is called out in the project instructions.  It should be 15.

3. All lines are drawn using the Line Weight setting "By Default" (see Layer Properties).  No one line is any thicker/thinner than the other.

Edited by ReMark