Penn Foster Student Suffering with Oleson Village Map!!!

AutoCad Student

ReMark, 

‘’can you please point out specifically where you’re finding the diameter for BM, the only “15” I’m finding is for the trees.

‘thanks!

1 hour ago, Tay said:

Are there any examples of what the title block should look like?

You can find an example of what the titleblock & border should look like on Page 14, 7th post down from the top.  It's just the linework, no text.

Edited by ReMark

1 hour ago, patti0916 said:

ReMark, 

‘’can you please point out specifically where you’re finding the diameter for BM, the only “15” I’m finding is for the trees.

‘thanks!

I was wrong.  The diameter of the BM symbol is 20 not 15.  The instructions call for a radius of 10.  The information appears on Page 14 of the PDF you were given and specifically the 5th paragraph from the top.  My apologies.

Edited by ReMark
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, ReMark said:

I was wrong.  The diameter of the BM symbol is 20 not 15.  The instructions call for a radius of 10.  The information appears on Page 14 of the PDF you were given and specifically the 5th paragraph from the top.  My apologies.

Thank you so much, I don’t know how you store all the information you’ve given this far, going back years.

I appreciate your patience.

On 12/5/2012 at 6:30 AM, ReMark said:

Oleson Village Units.PNG

Oleson Village - Units.

ReMark, 

Do you feel like these drawing units for today’s project are correct?

In the instructions the units to scale are noted as “feet”. 
‘Thanks! 

9 hours ago, patti0916 said:

ReMark, 

Do you feel like these drawing units for today’s project are correct?

In the instructions the units to scale are noted as “feet”. 
‘Thanks! 

Yes, I do.

My answer hasn't changed.  AutoCAD is unitless.  1 unit can be equal to anything.  1 inch, 1 foot, 1 mile, 1 league, 1 furlong, 1 fathom or 1 lightyear.

• Thanks 1

In the South we have one called 'A Piece', it works well with the direction indicator 'Yonder'.  As in "Y'all needta go yonder a piece 'till you come to the river..."

On 12/5/2012 at 6:51 AM, ReMark said:

Drawing the POB line.

Orthomode should still be disabled (off).

Start the Line command. Pick the endpoint of the reference line.

Let go of the mouse.

For the next point type, at the command line, @113.66

Assuming the line is there how do we verify the length and distance? Answer: we use the List command (one of a couple of options).

Type List at the command line then press Enter. When asked to select object pick the line that was just drawn. Press Enter.

A text window should appear listing all the information about the line. Check that the length and angle are correct.

I’m so confused here ReMark, I’ve got my Benchmark point and when I come off of that endpoint and enter at the command line @113.66 and enter again nothing changes.

Can you help, I’m sure it’s something very stupid.

Thanks! 

It appears you did not enter the angle (N5d 27' 23"W) which is shown in the next post after the one you are quoting from and underlined in red.  The input would look like this:

@113.66<N5d27'23"W

20 minutes ago, ReMark said:

It appears you did not enter the angle (N5d 27' 23"W) which is shown in the next post after the one you are quoting from and underlined in red.  The input would look like this:

@113.66<N5d27'23"W

Thank you! I’ve tried so many ways to get this point to snap, anyway I enter I come up empty.

So frustrating! I’ve tried with and without the angle added.

151A7166-F31B-4AE0-846A-3426324250CC.jpeg

1 hour ago, patti0916 said:

Thank you! I’ve tried so many ways to get this point to snap, anyway I enter I come up empty.

So frustrating! I’ve tried with and without the angle added.

151A7166-F31B-4AE0-846A-3426324250CC.jpeg

I got the angle correct now but not my length?

C9B71CF5-6A1B-4105-8D49-5E24684A53F8.jpeg

First of all, looking at the printout of the coordinates above you started at the wrong point.  The starting point is supposed to be 1421334.92, 783207.62.  Your starting point's coordinates are 1421324.12, 783320.76.

So, first, erase the lines you drew.  Next, make sure Orthomode is enabled.  Now, start the Line command, and when you are asked to Specify first point set your mouse aside and type in the correct coordinates [should look like this: 1421334.92, 783207.62] then press the Enter key.  STOP.  Drag your mouse to the left, let go, and where it says Specify next point on the command line type in 10.73.  STOP.  Drag you mouse up, let go, and where it says Specify next point on the command line type in 113.15 followed by pressing the Enter key twice.  The coordinates for the end point of the line you have just drawn should be 142134.19, 783320.77.  This is the starting point for drawing the four-sided boundary of Oleson Village.

11 hours ago, ReMark said:

First of all, looking at the printout of the coordinates above you started at the wrong point.  The starting point is supposed to be 1421334.92, 783207.62.  Your starting point's coordinates are 1421324.12, 783320.76.

So, first, erase the lines you drew.  Next, make sure Orthomode is enabled.  Now, start the Line command, and when you are asked to Specify first point set your mouse aside and type in the correct coordinates [should look like this: 1421334.92, 783207.62] then press the Enter key.  STOP.  Drag your mouse to the left, let go, and where it says Specify next point on the command line type in 10.73.  STOP.  Drag you mouse up, let go, and where it says Specify next point on the command line type in 113.15 followed by pressing the Enter key twice.  The coordinates for the end point of the line you have just drawn should be 142134.19, 783320.77.  This is the starting point for drawing the four-sided boundary of Oleson Village.

Thanks so much ReMark. After entering 10.73 should I hit space bar or enter? 
After I go through all the steps and get to 113.15 and enter twice, my screen goes blank.

No, do not hit the spacebar or the Enter key after typing 10.73 because you want to continue drawing a line vertically 113.15.  I don't know why your screen would go blank.  Try issuing a Zoom, Extents command sequence and see what happens.

How much AutoCAD practice time have you had before taking on the Oleson Village project?  I think you may be missing some of the basic fundamentals of using the program.  You shouldn't be having this much difficulty right at the start of the project. 

Edited by ReMark

2 hours ago, ReMark said:

No, do not hit the spacebar or the Enter key after typing 10.73 because you want to continue drawing a line vertically 113.15.  I don't know why your screen would go blank.  Try issuing a Zoom, Extents command sequence and see what happens.

How much AutoCAD practice time have you had before taking on the Oleson Village project?  I think you may be missing some of the basic fundamentals of using the program.  You shouldn't be having this much difficulty right at the start of the project. 

Thank you, I will keep trying. 

• 3 weeks later...