Penn Foster Student Suffering with Oleson Village Map!!!

AutoCad Student

4 hours ago, patti0916 said:

Hello all. 
Can anyone offer some guidance on drawing the corner arcs and dimensions?

Re: corner arcs.  You mean the arcs associated with the cul-de-sacs on SW Davies Court & SW 85th Avenue?

Re: dimensions.  Which dimensions specifically are you talking about?  

19 minutes ago, ReMark said:

Re: corner arcs.  You mean the arcs associated with the cul-de-sacs on SW Davies Court & SW 85th Avenue?

Re: dimensions.  Which dimensions specifically are you talking about?  

See attached picture

1DE13910-30E1-4A5A-B631-399E81F30B26.jpeg

AutoCAD gives you several options for creating Arcs... pick one.  Or, you can draw a circle then using both a property line and a temporary line trim it to look like an arc.  Erase temporary line.  Done.  Re: dimensions.  In this case dimensions are just single line text.  Make sure the text (i.e. - dimensions) runs parallel to the property line it refers to.

Edited by ReMark

20 minutes ago, ReMark said:

AutoCAD gives you several options for creating Arcs... pick one.  Or, you can draw a circle then using both a property line and a temporary line trim it to look like an arc.  Erase temporary line.  Done.  Re: dimensions.  In this case dimensions are just single line text.  Make sure the text (i.e. - dimensions) runs parallel to the property line it refers to.

Thank you, I’ll give it a go! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My project is grade of 100%. I would like to express my grateful to the team, especially is Mark. He is quickly response on every questions and concerns. Thank you very much.

Screen Shot 2022-04-06 at 8.37.15 PM.png

• 4 months later...

Hello all.  The started into the dreaded Oleson Village project.  First, thank you to everyone that has contributed to this and I am very thankful for the future support as I navigate through this project. Also PF has updated the instructions and addressed the drawing limits in the new project directions.

I use AutoCAD extensively for electrical drawings but have little experience in using it for mechanical and zero with survey data except for the few sentences in the course about it.

My immedate road block, I am unable to enter point in survey coordinates.  I have set up my dwg limits and have drawn my first line using x,y coords as in this post.  When moving on to the next step I enter in the survey coords exactly as shown in the post and then nothing happens after I press the enter button.  I have found other examples of how to enter this date to create a simple square and I get the same results.   After entering in the coords, nothing happens.

I have reviewed all of the setting in UNITS and they are exactly as shown in this post.  I am missing something glaring obvious but I cannot seen to figure it out.

I am running AutoCAD 2023 on a Mac.

I think you all again for your support.

lms.pennfoster.edu | MET202: Drafting with Autocad.pdf

In all likelihood something did happen, it's just that because the project limits encompass such a large area and the subdivision such a small portion of it the student doesn't see the result.  While Penn-Foster may have updated the project instructions the limits of the project have not changed in decades.

See if this helps at all.  Start with either a new drawing or do an Erase > All of your current drawing.

-Invoke the LIMITS command and set your limits per the P-F instructions.

-Draw a Line from 0,0 to 1421334.93,783207.62.  This is the location of the Benchmark.

-Next, draw a Rectangle using the Dimensions option.  The starting point for the rectangle will be the far end of the line previously drawn.  You want to draw the rectangle to the right and up.  Make the length 1800 and the width 1200*.

-Once the rectangle is drawn you are going to Move it.  Select as your basepoint the lower left-hand corner of the rectangle and move it to coordinate 1420481.09, 782918.89.

-Next, draw the Benchmark symbol and locate the centerpoint at the far end of the line previously drawn.

-Erase the line.

-Execute a Zoom > Extents.

-Now, Save and Quit out of your drawing.

*Re: size of rectangle.  1800x1200 equates to a 36x24 drawing at 50 scale.  36x50=1800; 24x50=1200.

Everything you draw from herein out should fit neatly within the rectangle that you drew.  If it doesn't then you have made an error (ex. - mistyped a set of coordinates).

Why did I make you go through all of this?  Hopefully, it will prevent you from being unable to locate the Oleson subdivision that is located in a 32 square mile area.  Think of it as being at the edge of our galaxy and someone asks you to find Earth.  it might take you a while to actually pinpoint it.  Got it?

"Think of it as being at the edge of our galaxy and someone asks you to find Earth" There is a sample dwg called solar and when you open its the planets in a dwg, you can zoom in on the moon, so get a circle, you can zoom even further and find the Lunar lander, as a joke we added text to the lander support bolt on the base plate "Made in Japan". So we have gone from some huge number down to like 6mm.

The reason I am commenting is Autocad supports a range of something like 1E -14 to  1E 14 that is as a number 12345678901234. 

Another way to set the limits is to use ZOOM C  "1421334,783207" 3000 this a zoomed in view based on that point at a scale of 3000, then type LIMITS and can pick the diagonal corners of the screen, you may need a bigger scale than 3000 I added the rectang as suggested by Remark to test Zoom E and Zoom A worked ok.

Edited by BIGAL

Here are two images that might be of benefit to you.  The first image (Oleson Subdivision_1) is of the line and the rectangle I instructed you to create in my previous post.  I've drawn a circle around the end of the line in yellow.  Do you see it?  It's way off at the far end of the line and quite frankly very near impossible to see.  The second image (Oleson Subdivision_2) is a close-up of the far end of the line surrounded by the rectangle.  This is what I had circled.  If you follow Penn-Foster's suggestion and specify your limits as 0,0 and 2000000,2000000 your subdivision will be even more difficult to find as the area it will exist in will be significantly larger. 

Oleson Subdivison_1:

Oleson Subdivision_1.PNG

Oleson Subdivision_2:

Oleson Subdivision_2.PNG

Edited by ReMark

I truly appreciate your explanation and its clarity.  This was indeed my issue.

After reviewing the entire PF scope of the project, ambiguity seems to be a recurring theme for a topic that was only briefly mentioned in the course.

It has been commented before that Penn Foster should employ Remark to rewrite their tutorials and correct so many misleading or just errors in the tasks. Thats why there is 21 pages of responses.

Edited by BIGAL

I am on the civil drafting with AutoCAD project trying to draw the Capitano house and driveway.  Everything lines up except the coordinates. If I follow ReMark's steps above I get an 1800,1200 rectangle that is about 1/8 the size of my contour line grid. So anything I enter with coordinates all end up in the North West corner grid squares.  It does the same thing if I start a new drawing. I have my units set to decimal feet.  But it actually does the same thing if I change the units to decimal inches, or architectural.  Is there somewhere else to set the units so that when I enter coordinates it works correctly?  

When I did the Oleson Subdivision project it all worked fine..

Capitano project.dwg

Unfortunately, the steps I outlined above were for the Oleson Village Project not the Capitano Project.  I guess I got confused because the thread you started was titled "Penn Foster Civil Drafting with autocad project. (Coordinates)."  Both projects are considered civil in nature.  I wasn't aware that you had moved on to the Capistrano project until I saw your most recent post above.  My bad.

Edited by ReMark

The simple drawing attached below will get you started.  Coordinates required for locating the POB, trees, etc. should fall comfortably within the limits of the drawing.  Note: the drawing was created in another CAD program but saved to the AutoCAD 2010 file format so you should have no problems opening it.  The circle with the crosshairs through it is where the POB is located.

Capistrano project limits.dwg

Edited by ReMark

Ok, this helps a lot!  So if I place my first tree coordinate in your drawing it is approximately in the correct spot.  So I copied and pasted my overall grid into your drawing and it is huge in comparison.  So perhaps my contour grids were too big?  They are 50 feet each for a total contour grid area of 850'x550'  However, looking at some of the other lengths and measurements it would seem that my 50' grid is correct..

Still confused, but getting closer.. 🙂

Capistrano project overlay.dwg