Penn Foster Student Suffering with Oleson Village Map!!!

AutoCad Student

The insertion scale for the tree block I created for this project is "1". If you insert it at an X/Y scale of 15 it will be way too big.

The subdivision boundary is shown in post #14 of this thread. Post #13 explains how to create the boundary lines using distance and surveyor's angles via the keyboard.

Ok, I will go back and redo those. I have my boundary lines in as per you and PF instruction. Now I am ready for centerlines, which i think are 40 and 80 for the offset amount for boundary lines 1 and 4 respectively

Yes, that is correct. Those distances defined the width of each right-of-way from streetline to streetline. The centerline will obviously fall dead center between the streetlines at 40 and 20 units respectively. Understand?

BTW...there is no crying in CAD. I have complete confidence in you Jennifer. You can do this if you take it one logical step at a time. The bulk of the instructions for creating the geometry for this project can be found in this thread. I know because I not only posted the information I did the project as well.

OK...I have to go have my dinner now so I'll be signing off shortly. I'll check this thread tomorrow morning to see if you posted any further questions. Have a good evening Jennifer.

Oh i know! I have only had the success I have had because of you. I have been reading this thread and working on this project for three weeks now. so thank you, thank you, thank you! Does CAD not have a way to highlight the trees I have already put in and change the scaling on them?

To answer your question...no, not without the use of a custom lisp routine that would rescale each block based upon its insertion point thus maintaining the exact location it was originally placed in. What I would suggest is that you draw a single continuous polyline that passes through the center of every tree you have already inserted. Erase the trees and then insert the tree block at the correct scale placing each tree at the intersections of the polyine. You'll have to use your center osnap for drawing the polyline. Do you understand?

If you want to try the lisp routine my suggestion would be to wait until tomorrow when I can provide you with the proper instructions. Meanwhile you could continue drawing the geometry. It's up to you. I really must go now. Good night.

There is another option for resizing the tree block which I totally forgot when I posted this originally. See post #288 below regarding the BEDIT command. A third option would be to EXPLODE the tree block, rescale the tree, then recreate the block and save it using the same exact name. AutoCAD will ask if you really want to do this; the answer would be "yes".

Edited by ReMark

It's 6:04 a.m. EDST in Connecticut. I don't see any further questions posted so I'll assume you are making progress. Will check back later this morning after I finish my hike.

1. Your trees measure 1.25 when they should measure 15 (we're talking diameter). Not sure how you managed that.

2. It is never a good idea to attach one's drawing to a post as other P-F students could "borrow" your hard work and pass it off as their own. Either remove the attached drawing or delete the post.

If you want to share drawings with me go to my visitor's page and leave a message with your email address. I'll contact you after receiving the message.

Re: trees. Here is an option I should have thought of yesterday. Invoke the BEDIT (Block Editor) command and select one of the tree blocks. Inside the editor use the Scale command and increase the scale of the tree by a factor of 12 (1.25 x 12 = 15). Exit the block editor and when asked if you want to save your changes respond "Yes". Now all your trees should have a diameter of 15.

• Like 1

Thanks, now my trees have grown! How could you tell that the diameter of my tree was 1.25? I was going to check and make sure it measures correctly now.

I used the Distance command to measure the diameter going from a quadrant on one side to the quadrant on the opposite side.

Students: When it comes time to place text in your drawing you are expected to orient the text parallel to either the centerline of a road or a property line. While this may be easy when text is horizontal or vertical (enabling Orthomode) you may find it somewhat more difficult to do when lines are at an angle. One way to address this situation is to use the SNAPANG command which allows the user to reorient their crosshairs to match the angle of a particular line. Invoke the command. You're prompted for the new angle. Assuming we don't know the angle we can pick one end of the line (I like going left to right) then the other end of the same line and the crosshairs will reorient themselves to match the line's angle. To reset the crosshairs to their "normal" position repeat the SNAPANG command and this time type "0" for the angle. The result should be normal straight up and down/sideways crosshairs . Got it? Good. Now go do it.

Edited by ReMark
  • Like 1

Drawing the POB line.

Orthomode should still be disabled (off).

Start the Line command. Pick the endpoint of the reference line.

Let go of the mouse.

For the next point type, at the command line, @113.66

Assuming the line is there how do we verify the length and distance? Answer: we use the List command (one of a couple of options).

Type List at the command line then press Enter. When asked to select object pick the line that was just drawn. Press Enter.

A text window should appear listing all the information about the line. Check that the length and angle are correct.

What is the POB line? I dont see in the instruction where we have a POB layer? Im soooo confused

POB = Point on Boundary. The line extends from the center of the benchmark to a point on the boundary of the Oleson Village subdivision. If I recall correctly it would be the southeast corner. I don't believe there is a POB layer. If there was it would be listed in the layers the student is asked to create.

Note: The POB line is merely a reference line that gets one from the benchmark to the subdivision boundary. It is the red line depicted in the image seen in post #14 of THIS thread. That would be on page 2. Got it?

• 2 months later...

It's fairly easy. Copy the coordinates, one tree at a time, and paste them into the command line when prompted for the base point of the insertion of your tree block.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your help ReMark! Right now i am at the part to extend the road beyond in Lincoln County then labeling. It should easy here on out. But i'd have to agree with you that Penn Foster needs to revamp the entire course. Ashworth already upgraded theirs to 2016 version. I just feel Penn Foster is really behind. Thanks again ReMark, really appreciate it. Also, this forum seems really helpful for my career in drafting as well.

Hi Remark,

Would you mind if you can review and verify my work is correct once i am finished? That would really help me out to get better on my skills. Thanks.

I did not take the P-F AutoCAD course. I do have a set of the project drawings that were done by a former student I could compare them to.

ReMark: Some insights would be great and yes comparing would be great as well... I am still working on the project, i am almost done. What's the best method to send? PM?