Penn Foster Student Suffering with Oleson Village Map!!!

AutoCad Student

Not sure what I did :( I will try to figure it out when I get home. The tree's went in nicely from what I thought was the tree block but it doesn't show up in my list when I do the BEDIT command. I don't know what "explode the block" means, sounds bad though.

I will try clicking on a tree to see if that works.

My background color is white, but that's what it was from the start because I don't know how to change that.

I found the scale command for the arrow and ended up making the arrow even bigger!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

To scale down try something like .5 or .25 or .125.

Most users prefer a black background in model space and a white background for their paper space layouts. It can be changed via Options > Display > Colors.

Users have the option of exploding a block upon insertion to break it down into its original pieces (lines, etc.). Not usually recommended.

You click on one of the tree blocks to highlight it before entering the BEDIT command. Some people find it easier to do this way.

ok, it does look like my tree is exploded. I clicked on a tree and then did BEDIT and its still not showing up. I SURE hope I don't have to redo all those trees.

I had already drawn a tree at the very beginning of the project so I used the tree block I had already made so I guess that's how it ended up being inserted in "exploded" mode. Its also way too big but if I can get it to open in the BEDIT then I guess thats an easy fix. I even entered your tree block and then did the bedit and it still doesn't show up in the list of blocks. Ugh, so close and yet still so far away from the finish! I really thought I was going to be finished soon. Now a set back.

Edited by AutoCad Student

If you inserted the tree block I provided and did NOT explode it then there is no reason why it shouldn't work.

So you are saying that when you invoke the BEDIT commands there are no blocks listed what-so-ever? Not even the north arrow or scale bar?

InsertExplode.PNG

Check your INSERT command. Look in the lower left-hand corner. See where it says Explode? If there is a check mark there then remove it!

I wish you had used the Tree-Oleson block I provided for you.

I had already determined that the explode box was checked, but how do I now go back and unexplode each tree? I tried unchecking it but it didn't seem to help. UGH! I also entered your tree block to see if it would show up on the BEDIT block and it doesn't either. No matter what I do I cant get either tree block to show up in BEDIT.

Ok, I think somehow the way i accessed my tree block is the root of the problem. When i first started inserting my trees, I must have hit "attach" then hit browse and grabbed the tree block from my desk top and inserted it that way. I think somehow the tree block isn't actually part of my drawing but its accessing an external file???? I just tried hitting the INSERT block and grabbed the tree block again and inserted it into the drawing and now it shows up in BEDIT, but only that last tree that I just inserted. I wonder if now I need to delete all my trees ans start over. UGH!!!!

I have done something wrong because I finally was able to edit the tree block but it doesn't change the size of the 65 trees I've already entered. If I want to resize the existing trees, I have to do each one individually. Any ideas on what I did wrong? It didn't have anything to do with which tree block I used, it seems to have something to do with how I inserted it maybe?

I'm not sure what would have caused you (a former AutoCAD user by the way) to use Attach rather than Insert.

Can you use your OSnaps (like Center) on the trees you attached?

I was never classified as a AutoCad user. I just did some very basic box drawings for a class about 4 years ago. I'm as novice as they come I think. Well not so much now.

Ok, all trees are rezised but they still look WAY bigger than the pic you sent. I moved them too but they look like they are in the same place though. I guess its because I only moved them a couple of feet I guess. I haven't relocated that rogue tree yet. I figured if I moved it without asking the instructor why it was misplaced, they would know I've been getting outside help. So, I planned to email them later to ask why one of my trees is out in never never land even thought I already knew why.

Also, I left my curb and sidewalk area wrong for now. I haven't decided yet what to do about that.

Oleson Village Pic.docx

Edited by AutoCad Student

You were supposed to resize the tree from 15 to 10 feet. Did you make it larger not smaller?

It is your drawing. You can submit it in any form you like. At this point I think its time for me to pack it in.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I am new on this forum and I dont really know how to post questions. I am working on the Oleson Village project and I have a little problem that I dont know how to solve. I am almost done but some of the dimensions dont seem to be right comparing to other picture posted on the forum. East side border of lot 5 is 188.99' and the east side of lot 6 is 183.23'. everything else seems to be right. where did I go wrong? thank you

The east side property line of lot #5 should be 118.95 approximately. The east side property line of lot #6 should be 183.18 approximately. Depending on how you had your units precision set you results may vary slightly but should be relatively close to these two numbers. Something else that might affect the distance is how exactly you located the beginning of the property line. If that is off slightly you'll get a different line length.

thank you for such a quick response. so doesnt mean that I did something wrong? can i fix it somehow? i try to do the lines from the beginning but it comes out the same. there is also a problem with the bearing on the line between lot 5 and lot 6. i put n1d15'21"w but when i check in properties in shows s1d15'21"e. also, i am preety sure i didnt change any setting but text comes out upside down.

ps. english is my second language so i am sorry for any mistakes

Can you fix it? Sure. You can type in any distances and bearings you want. I'm not sure how closely Penn-Foster checks the drawings submitted by their students.

i guess i dont understand because i put the direction according to the book. i tried to change it many times and it doesnt work. all other bearings are fine just this one shows up different