Need a Prompt for Block

ziemerd

I'm pretty sure there's a way to set up a block attribute to prompt for information when the block is placed on the drawing but I can't find the instructions on how to do it.

In the AutoCAD Bible the definitions for Attribute Mode says "Constant which sets a constant value for an attribute. The attribute automatically takes the attribute value that you set (in the Attribute section of the dialog box), and you do not get a prompt for a value." So I did not select Constant when defining the attribute.

Then AutoCAD Help defines the following:

Tag

Identifies each occurrence of an attribute in the drawing. Enter the attribute tag using any combination of characters except spaces. Lowercase letters are automatically changed to uppercase.

Prompt

Specifies the prompt that is displayed when you insert a block containing this attribute definition. If you do not enter a prompt, the attribute tag is used as a prompt. If you select Constant in the Mode area, the Prompt option is not available.

Ok...so I put ref_des (meaning reference designator) for the Tag and Ref Des in the prompt because I want to be prompted to put in the reference designator for that block. Even though I'm using the same block over and over, each occurance of that block has a different reference designator.

When I do the above I do not get a prompt when I insert the block. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Much appreciated.

Dawn