Like button and other helpful stuff.

paisis123

Could we have a "Like" counter or a "Like button" in general?

Actually if there's a counter under each post that said something along the lines of "This post helped So and So and 5 other people"

I think it will streamline the forums and direct people straight to the answer of there problems instead of looking for it through the entire thread. :o

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Lee Roy

• PotGuy

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Please no "Like" button! Call it something else if we do get one but let's not have reference to anything FaceBook has. Maybe a "Cred" button or something. I mean we can already Rate a thread with the current forum software.

Oh heck why don't we have multiple buttons?:lol:

Highly liked

Liked

Somewhat liked

Disliked

I agree. but I would want something that can streamline some posts to go directly to the answer. If a said post answers something, especially if its a popular thread and that thread got "liked" or had alot of "Kudos" then people will instantly go to that post and find what they need, instead of reading through the entire post! well that was my $0.04, your thoughts or rebuttas?

I don't see what it adds.

You are often after an answer to a question similar to the one asked and that answer can be found in the myriad of offered views.

And why don't we use the "rate" option we already have here? Mainly because certain (now banned) posters ALWAYS rated their own threads (often under a 2nd account name) so they appeared to know the best answers even when their answer bore no relationship to the question.

Dave I can't remember the last time I looked at a thread rating :oops:. I know when I see answers come from people like you, Remark, Tanner and a few others that a real attempt was made to offer the OP real advice.

Dave I can't remember the last time I looked at a thread rating :oops:.
me neither - its your post that reminded me that it was there. I do remember mrs rhino rating all their threads at 5, including those whos sole advise was "forget AutoCAD, use rhino".

At least Mrs. Rhino didn't say "Forget AutoCAD, buy Inventor, a modern mcad program."

We can rate posts by handing out CADDIES. On a scale of 1 to 5 CADDIES I'll give it a 3. Now all we need is a representative CADDIE.

I belong to another forum that uses this VBulletin software. They have a "Thanks" button.

Likewise. I use it (the thanks button) sometimes but don't go out of my way too; most people seem to use it though.

It wouldn't happen to be a civil engineering forum would it?

Edited by Organic
typo

A "Thanks" feature can be implemented within 5 minutes. I use it on my forum, as I showed in the other thread.

PostThank.jpg

If Admin is interested, I can send the files and xml or link to the product thread; it's literally plug-n-play. However, I know they're wanting to move to phpbb, so I understand if they don't want to add functionality to a software that's going to be abandoned anyway.

For the OP, it's an unspoken way of saying that helped, just like saying "Thank you" face to face. For people other than the OP, its a way of saying "That helped me as well," or, "I agree." All with just the click of a link instead of adding an additional post.

You notice that there are no statistics showing who gives/receives the most "Thanks." It's possible to turn on sure, but that's an on/off switch in the AdminCP.

In the above example, just_some_dude is the thread starter thanking piratius for his helpful input. Ezblast is one of our resident experts symbolizing his agreement with piratius's post by thanking him as well. I also thanked piratius after I made my post (I'm Jet-Lee); I'm neither the OP nor someone benefiting, but it was something that I knew and agree'd with, so I wanted to show my support by thanking him as well.

One button can mean a lot to lots of people, without statistics to say one person is better than another. That thread continues quite a ways, but those thanks on that post indicate to a reader that it's a post of value.

Edited by Lee Roy

Likewise. I use it (the thanks button) sometimes but don't go out of my way too; most people seem to use it though.

It wouldn't happen to be a civil engineering forum would it?

Nope, that would be Stephenking.com :)

There is often lots of related information in the thread other than just a single answer or post. I read all the posts in a thread to get a better sense of how to do things from angles I may not have thought of. I lean toward leaving the thanks or likes buttons out it. Ken