Like button and other helpful stuff.

paisis123

There is often lots of related information in the thread other than just a single answer or post. I read all the posts in a thread to get a better sense of how to do things from angles I may not have thought of. I lean toward leaving the thanks or likes buttons out it. Ken

How does "Thanks" prevent one from reading or posting beyond that post? It does not lock the thread, merely shows that others agree/appreciate that particular post.

As you can tell, I'm a heavy proponent of a "Thanks" type functionality here. It may not be necessary, but in my mind it would be handy on such a technical forum; and appreciated once people started using it (sans statistics, of course).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ReMark

• Lee Roy

• PotGuy

• f700es

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Over on the Solidworks forums, they have a like icon down in the bottom corner.

tbh, it's very rarely used within the general population of users.

You tend to find that people who are involved with coding, e.g. VB & .net use it to let people know that coding supplied is "good".

They also have a general function where the thread starter can select the most informative answer. This is then put to the top of thread, saving people traipsing through 30-40 posts of banter & general crap.

Cadtutor21.png

I'd really like to "Thank" a lot of Stykface's posts in the Revit forums just to show my agreement with his solutions without having to post a reply.

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a slightly off topic thought.

When an OP has question that hasn't had an answer or reply, is there a feature that's available for them to use?

Eg: If someone has asked a queston that has been left for over 'X' Hours, then maybe a timer could be used by the OP to bring attention to the post.

O/c this could be spammed or used outside of its intended purpose, but suppose this didn't happen.

Is this a worthwhile thought?

Some of us cycle through posts that have received "0" responses and give them a *bump* so they have one more chance to be seen. I know I have done it. Sometimes it has the desired effect and sometimes it doesn't.

I think we should give out little gold stars like they do in grade school. Johnny or Susie has done good. Here's your sticker! Just kidding.:lol:

What are we going to give responses that we don't agree with? A stink bomb?:o

Some of us cycle through posts that have received "0" responses and give them a *bump* so they have one more chance to be seen. I know I have done it. Sometimes it has the desired effect and sometimes it doesn't.

I think we should give out little gold stars like they do in grade school. Johnny or Susie has done good. Here's your sticker! Just kidding.:lol:

I want my Sticker! *Wahh* :cry:

What are we going to give responses that we don't agree with? A stink bomb?:o

There's also a "Groan" feature, that comes with the "Thanks". It can be turned on/off by Admin at any time.

I still have not seen any Admin input on this simple request. It takes but a couple minutes to install. Set it and forget it, literally.

Maybe the idea hasn't caught on with the majority of forum users. Let it rest a while then revisit it at some future date. That is not to say that the idea for a "Thanks" button is without merit.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump.

Was on WFC Forums (You 'Orns!) and had forgot they use a like feature; not a Facebook like.

It seemed well implemented; had no real sort of effect mind, but it was a good indicator as to whether it was a good post or not; albeit more opinion based.

It can provide a good indicator as to whether that post has merit or not.

:thumbsup: This doesn't do it for you?

:bomb: Or if you think the advice stinks.

:P

:lol:

lol, my point is to eliminate the time spent typing the mandatory 10 letters and hitting "Post Quick Reply" just to say something to the effect of "He's right", "I agree" or just a general "Thank you".

It really surprises me that something to the effect is not implemented on a techy forum. Any automotive forum I'm on has some form of the function and it gets used heavily.

lol, my point is to eliminate the time spent typing the mandatory 10 letters and hitting "Post Quick Reply" just to say something to the effect of "He's right", "I agree" or just a general "Thank you".

It really surprises me that something to the effect is not implemented on a techy forum. Any automotive forum I'm on has some form of the function and it gets used heavily.

As CADTutor said on one of his previous posts on a separate topic, I believe that this type of Forum is hard to mod?

It's vBulletin 4.1.2, I have everything needed on my thumb drive as I run a vB4.2 forum (been admin since 3.8.7).

It's very easy and takes less than 5 minutes. Copy a folder via FTP, import an XML file, click a couple/few checkboxes and done.

My members asked for two things when I overhauled our place; first they wanted the chatbox back (bad idea for here), second they wanted the "Thanks" button back. They wanted that before I even finished the logo or skin revisions.

I suppose I should quit pushing the issue. If it hasn't been done yet, it probably won't be and I'm doing nothing besides annoying the Admin at this point.

Judging by the number of respondents to this thread it appears yours is an idea who's time has not yet come. Just an observation and not a criticism.

Judging by the number of respondents to this thread it appears yours is an idea who's time has not yet come. Just an observation and not a criticism.

Touche (I dunno the alt+command for the little thingy over the e). Though it was started here. When it went unanswered there, someone created a new thread and the subject merely moved.

People don't realize how convenient, simple and universal the button really is, I think.

I think the reason me and Lee-Roy are probably pushing the issue a little too far is because we have seen it implemented well on other sites, though if it's worth dropping for a while then so be it.

:)