odd performance, please help!!!

andar424

hey guys,

been having some odd performance with my student version of 13. i've completely uninstalled and re downloaded it from autodesk with the sp and update 1, and it still does it. it would be a few things. first off, when i create a new part the ribbon stays grayed out for quite a bit, but seems to load a bit faster if i click it. when it finally comes to, it works and is ok in speed, but some icons seems to lag a bit when loading and flipping from tab to tab. the view cube no longer highlights the edges when you hover over them with your cursor. its performance is laggy it seems, i can still click the edges and it will eventually snap the view to them, but is not snappy like it used to be at all!! clicking in the tree is also laggy like this, it works, but is very slow in response. i have a 3d mouse, just updated all its drivers, and it still does it. i've gone through a couple updates on the graphics card (gtx 680), and it seems to have started since then. i don't think i launched inventor all that much since my last update on the card, and this has all started after that. i'm going to try and revert back a few updates and see if that helps, but that's why i'm posting this.

if anyone has heard or seen of this type of thing, were you able to get it resolved? what did you do? any help is appreciated!!

-thanks

Did you follow the Autodesk Clean Uninstall instructions?

Did you install with UAC and anti-virus turned off?

Have you clicked Calibrate on your 3D Connexion device (I do this each day at beginning of session).

What anti-virus are you running?

Did you create a Windows Restore point when it was running correctly?

If not, why not?

Not sure what you hoped to accomplish be downloading the software a second time - the install files are the same.

Does your school have a Student IT Help Desk that can help you trouble shoot hardware problems (bad memory, ....)?

Yes, I used the uninstall feature. I use trend micro as anti virus, and UAC was probably on when I installed, but inventor was working fine up until I did some updates on my graphics card it seemed. I reverted back to an older driver version on the card and that did not help. That's what is confusing, it worked fine up until a little but ago. I re downloaded it to just make sure I had a good download of it and a fresh install. I've heard and read of ssd's acting up when they start to get full, but I'm at like 50% I believe.

Specs of my machine:

CPU: Intel socket 2011 @ 3.4ghz

Mobo: Asus rampage IV extreme

Memory: 32 gigs of 2400mhz running at 1333 b/c of another issue, but has ran inventor fine with no issues

Graphics: Msi gtx680 with 4gigs on board ram

Power: corsair hx850 I believe

HD's: 2 x Kingston hyperx ssd's In a raid

Thanks guys!

Missed a few questions:

I'm no longer in school, so no IT help, just play at home for fun and learning more features

Anti virus was on during install.

I don't use restore points, they are crap in my opinion, I'll just reinstall windows if things are that messed up

Like I've said, this all started at random, your suggestions don't really help me much as my problem wasn't there from the start. I've been running inventor for some time with no issues at all. It all started to happen after some updates went on. I have windows 8 ready to go, I'm about to wipe my machine and install 8 and go from there if no one has any ideas.

I don't use restore points, they are crap in my opinion, I'll just reinstall windows if things are that messed up

Like I've said, this all started at random, your suggestions don't really help me ....

Good luck!

Windows will create restore points from time to time all on its own. Don't happen to have one that predates the start of your problems do you?

As a matter of habit I create a restore point before loading any new software or updating any drivers. Only had to use the feature once and it worked. So in my opinion they are crap only if you DON'T create them to begin with.

But it's your computer so you can run it away you like.

With a setup like that I would expect any program to run fast as blazes. The fact that Inventor doesn't is odd indeed.

Good luck!

I feel like your giving me a sarcastic good luck. Why? Like I said, everything was working fine for quite sometime. I installed some updates recently, and then I've started to have problems. Your suggestions, of which I appreciate, just don't make any sense. Why would having UAC or anti-virus on during my install effect me NOW all of a sudden? Or even during my second install, of which I re downloaded to make sure my files didn't some how get corrupted. I did the same process that I did when I first installed Inventor. If you simply exhausted your resources with any problems you've had in the past, you couldn't just state that and bow out? Instead you quote me like I'm unappreciative of your advice. Maybe I said it wrong, and you took it the wrong way. Sorry!

The uninstall feature is fine in and of itself but AutoDesk has posted a suggested procedure specific to uninstalling software in preparation for a clean install. If you don't follow the procedure there can be bits and pieces left behind that gum up the works.

Be that as it may, Inventor 2013 was running fine until "something" happened. What we need to do is find out what happened. Maybe it was an update from Microsoft in which case asking about restore points makes sense.

32GB of memory but you are having some issues. What issues? Are any other Windows programs behaving oddly?

Thanks for help!!! It is much appreciated!

I'll try a restore point when I get home from work tonight, if not I was planning on installing windows 8 so I'll continue on with that. Does inventor run well on 8 has anyone heard?

You're welcomed. Sorry we have yet to hit upon a definitive solution.

I haven't read anything about Inventor and Win8 but I wouldn't expect any real issues to crop up.

Let us know how things turn out.

Apropos of absolutely nothing, I used to think system restore points were utter crap as well, but I was too lazy to turn them off. Then one day HP pushed a software update for the fingerprint reader on my laptop, and I wasa too busy to really look at what they were installing. Turns out that the update was labelled "ABSOLUTELY DO NOT EVER EVER EVER INSTALL THIS ON A 64-BIT MACHINE!!!!" My computer was bricked, because that software was what controlled the whole front-end security for Windows. Every login attempt came back with "Your Password is Not Permitted." HP said that the only thing I could do was factory restore, and with that comes a hard drive wipe.

System restore point saved me.

Specs of my machine:

CPU: Intel socket 2011 @ 3.4ghz

Mobo: Asus rampage IV extreme

Memory: 32 gigs of 2400mhz running at 1333 b/c of another issue, but has ran inventor fine with no issues

Graphics: Msi gtx680 with 4gigs on board ram

Power: corsair hx850 I believe

HD's: 2 x Kingston hyperx ssd's In a raid

Thanks guys!

A system like yours should be able to fix itself. ;) As for the System Restore issue, I would recommend using this feature or disk image software, for example Macrium. I found that making an Image of my HDD before I install any program or driver helps me recover PERFECTLY from such issues.

All I have to say, Disk Imaging software. If you image your drive before any and/or all installations of programs or drivers, you will have a perfect solution to fix any issues. Macrium is free and worth a try. I use it.

• 1 month later...

Well guys, I moved on to Win8 and that solved it. Hate to say that's my solution, because I never REALLY fixed it.

Thanks for all and any input!!