Protocol

BIGMIKE09281946

Do the thread repliers monitor the thread for continuation of the thread discussion?

And, does the thread creator reply, through the forum to keep the thread alive until its successful conclusion?

there is no set protocol. I tend to look at zero reply threads just in case its something I can answer and keep an eye on those that I have already replied to, although if I think it has been fully answered already I will miss any additional questions. I will also look at the threads with titles that interest me.

Therefore if you were to post a "please help" thread and then bump it yourself you won't get a reply from me as the title doesn't interest me and you are no longer have zero replies.

I am more likely to help you next time if you close out your threads, whether successful or not. There are some people here that I never help as they have never put a "thanks, that helped" ending comment - and even worse don't reply to a "did that help?".

There are some people here that I never help as they have never put a "thanks, that helped" ending comment - and even worse don't reply to a "did that help?".
In my limited time here dbroada, I have noticed this. Sometimes, if I give a reply, it is either unanswered or ignored completely (it may be that it's in the middle of other posts and I'm pretty sure that it will work, but it's not referred to) . If someone goes to the trouble of answering a question for someone else, then it's nice to know if it actually solved the problem (or not as the case may be).

Personally, I'm interested in whether or not the proposed solution works or not, as it helps me to learn also. If my solution doesn't work, and someone else posts something that does, then that's great and nice to know.

I suppose, that's life. Some people are only interested in the answer and don't give a thought to where the answer came from. I don't think either of us are that 'thin-skinned' that it affects us that much, but as you say a simple 'thanks' or 'thanks for going to the trouble of replying' isn't asking too much....