CAD Standards for fire alarm

Ski_Me

I design and install fire alarms. It is required that I develop and submit drawings for each fire alarm I install (state code) I mostly have my own standards the I came up with my self but I think I need to start getting in line with most of the industry. Thing is I can't find a standard for the fire alarm crowd. I found some cad standards but they're not very detailed. Does anyone here know of or have a detailed standard for fire alarm?

Oklahoma but there's no real standard they go by just as long the core basic information is shown the plan reviewers could care less. I just need a more professional looking presetation for the customer and construction companies and something that's more consistence than what I've been doing. Starting with my standards is the best place to start.

I have one more option for you.

It comes from the Automatic Fire Alarm Association. Fire alarm symbols for AutoCAD.

Find it here....http://www.afaa.org/Resources/Tools.aspx

Oh I've seen these before I'm using NFPA 170 symbols these are NYC own symbols and not NFPA for the most part. What I need help with is layer names and colors and the plot style.

The AIA has no guidelines for layer names as regards fire alarm systems?

I would not expect cities to go that far dictating layer names, color, and plot styles.

Oh I've seen these before I'm using NFPA 170 symbols these are NYC own symbols and not NFPA for the most part. What I need help with is layer names and colors and the plot style.

Stick with NFPA170 for the symbols. The blocks should be drawn on layer 0, it is up to you to decide on a layer name to draw on and the plot style is up to you as well.

No most cities do not enforce standards for fire alarm drawings, if fact I turned in a drawing I had done by hand on a 8 1/2 by 11 lined sheet of paper and got approved for a permit with it but there were special circumstances, do you have a link for the AIA Standards? NFPA 170 does spec any standards that I have seen but maybe I need to get a new copy and read it again.

You could always refer to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers A/E/C CAD standard for your layering information.

Another option would be to take a drive down to your local building department and see if they have any published/recommended standard they would like to see followed.

I've checked them out before. I guess I should just get the basics then go from there. Standards are general but God is in the details.