3DS Max to Revit

Nick-H-

Is there any way of importing 3Ds max object into revit, or is that a no no?

I have been given some heating pumps off the supplier for the job im working on, but there in 3DS max, and I dont fancy having to create them as a family from scratch (being I dont have much time)

Regards

Nick

Oh, I don't think you will have much choice but to make a new family. Maybe Tanner can chime in with some practice in this. Why did they not make the heat pump model in Inventor? With this you would have a shot.

Oh yikes. I don't know if it can be done. I've only ever tried Revit->3ds, not the other way around.

-EDIT-

After a quick playing around, I was able to export the 3DS file to dwg/dxf/sat formats and import those into Revit's family editor. I will say the dwg export was the quickest/easiest. Though the end product isn't very ... pretty.

Still might be best to just start from scratch on this one, O_o

I agree.

If the OP were to share with us the files he has, if not too complex I might be able to knock them out fairly quickly. Obviously there's no parametrics if we're talking about 3DS objects, so that cuts out a LOT of time and effort.

:huh: Yikes, not something I can knock out quickly to that level of detail. I'd advise downloading their 3D .dwg files and importing those into Revit.

http://wilo-usa.cadprofi.com/

Select the pump, then the column next to the .stp files should be the 3D dwg's.

Sorry.

No problem.

I have not really been able to look at them (dont have 3ds max) they dont have to be detailed just so it looks like a pump doesnt have to be that make, if anyone has any that look similar id be greaful

At my company, if you import anything into Revit, you'll be getting a call from the supervisor. If you're importing 3D models, especially things like pumps, into Revit MEP then you're not using Revit in the way it was intended and you're hurting yourself in the longrun. There are exceptions, of course, but not in this case.

The important thing in Revit is not detail, but parametric functionality. I can model the basic geometry of a pump with general dimensions in 2 minutes as a Revit family. From there I'd input all the pump information which would take longer but isn't necessary to have a physical Mechanical Equipment in your model.

This would be my advice.

At my company, if you import anything into Revit, you'll be getting a call from the supervisor. If you're importing 3D models, especially things like pumps, into Revit MEP then you're not using Revit in the way it was intended and you're hurting yourself in the longrun. There are exceptions, of course, but not in this case.

The important thing in Revit is not detail, but parametric functionality. I can model the basic geometry of a pump with general dimensions in 2 minutes as a Revit family. From there I'd input all the pump information which would take longer but isn't necessary to have a physical Mechanical Equipment in your model.

This would be my advice.

+1, the look is not important, well not as much so as the data behind it.

This would be my advice.

Being very new to revit.. the couple of familes I created a very basic AHU, I just gave it height and width parameters..

What other parameters can you set, and how our of curiosity

For the job im doing it is only for viewing purposes, so hopefully going to try and model the pumps, im not sure how.

You can set as much as your heart desires but it's good practice to set only those that you need. For instance, the AHU can have duct connectors with a max CFM parameter set so you can do size calculations.

And I really suggest you try to create some very simple and basic 3D geometry in the Family Editor. It's extremely easy once you grasp it. :)

If it's a CAD file from a manufacturer, we're not above importing it into a family (if there's no .rvt available) and placing the required connectors on it. Then insert that family into the project and use it as any other.

Recreating the object that the manufacturer has given you is just a waste of time, especially if there's no parametrics involved.

If it's a CAD file from a manufacturer, we're not above importing it into a family (if there's no .rvt available) and placing the required connectors on it. Then insert that family into the project and use it as any other.

Recreating the object that the manufacturer has given you is just a waste of time, especially if there's no parametrics involved.

What is the best way to do this?

I think i tried it, and it just ended up as a big blob/mess

Cheers

Nick