2012 vs. 2013

paisis123

What is the main differences in AutoCAD 2012 vs. 2013?

I looked at the website and it didnt really give a chart or explain much ALL the differences or changes.

Mods, please move this thread as you see fit. Thanks!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• paisis123

• irneb

• f700es

• SLW210

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow. I thought the changes were minor, But this makes me want to upgrade literally immediately. I heard that you can scan pictures or drawings right into AutoCad 2013? If thats the case then it make my job so much better then making drawings from lame PDFs.

top 3 from rkent's list for me are

command line click option

associative array improvements

drawing view creation (from 3D model) improvements

From what I have noticed the changes/improvements are minor and barely noticeable. Unless you are on a subscription there is no real advantage gained from upgrading from version 2012 to 2013.

Yep for me the best one's the new associative array. Basically makes a dynamic block with an array action automatically, though it's got more capabilities than if you made the DB manually (wish I could adjust the DB's array-distance as you can for a Asc-Array).

The rest are much of a MEH to me. E.g. the command-line options was available in 2008 (or even earlier) with a free addon. And some of them are actually irritating (to say the least). E.g. the new help system is worse than 2012's which is worse than 2008's :shock:. And don't get me started on the non-scrolling text-screen :x

As for scanning images direct into 2013 ... nope, don't know where you've heard that! But you can attach image files as always - like BigAl's mentioned.

My bad. Is there a way to input hand sketches into AutoCAD and let it automatically convert it into a drawing? Cause that's what I though 2013 could do.

Non-scrolling text screen? Are you talking about the one that comes up if you press the F2 key?
Yes, it doesn't scroll left/right and since they removed the automatic wrapping - if the text is too long you need to jump through hoops to view the last part.

My bad. Is there a way to input hand sketches into AutoCAD and let it automatically convert it into a drawing? Cause that's what I though 2013 could do.
You mean you want it to do raster-to-verctor conversion? No I've not heard that it can do this in the Vanilla CAD 2013, perhaps an addon or external program?

Something along the lines of that. I get alot of PDF drawings of designs on a daily basis, and instead of making the drawing by hand, that it was possible to scan it, import it, and convert it into a DWG.....But I guess I have to wait on 2014....

"raster-to-verctor conversion" as I have said before, the Holy Grail of CAD. Sure it can "be done" but I have yet to see it "done" where I would not spend as much time fixing the conversion as I would have just re-drawing it.

"raster-to-verctor conversion" as I have said before, the Holy Grail of CAD. Sure it can "be done" but I have yet to see it "done" where I would not spend as much time fixing the conversion as I would have just re-drawing it.
+1

Since the mid 90's I've seen all sorts of R2V programs. Some sorted line thicknesses into colours/layers, some tried to conjoin dashed lines properly, some even attempted to "notice" hatches instead of simply loads of lines. Very few actually get curves correct, mostly just coping out by drawing either lots of small lines or splines. Text is only slightly working, these days a little better due to advances in OCR. But I've yet to see something which produces a workable DWG file without loads of manual labour, never mind accuracy (that's simply out the window at the speed of light).

Apparently there's a new video codec which changes photos into vector areas, perhaps this might advance this niche programs a bit: http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/vsv/ But I'd not hold my breath for too long, we've all heard stories of that "holy Grail", and have yet to see the true version instead of rather poor facsimiles.

RASTER to VECTOR convertor, AKA the CAD INTERN.

I had a good kick out of that. Though since im the only in-house designer for the ENTIRE company, I have to do the intern work myself. Its not fun I tell you.

Is there a way to import a PDF into Autocad and trace what ever is there with a polyline? If so, direct me to the right thread or method you use.

Insert>PDF

I definatly knew that, excuse me while I bash my head against my keyboard for being an idiot. sdhkljagsrlsSiassrgiubsasDVLRVRIKBsdfaSRIUAKJS;KJSO

Yeah, just xref in the PDF, scale it to full and away you go.

Umm, I just posted a link to download Illustrator CS2 (for free) which can open a vector PDF and export out a DWG. You will have some clean up to do but vector PDFs to DWG are usually OK unless there is a lot of curves and text.

If you've got a vector PDF already, the AI would work fine yes. You could also try Corel Draw, or even Libre Office Draw (free). Or here's another method using only open source products: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?104724-Convert-pdf-dwf-to-dwg&p=993159&viewfull=1#post993159

The issue is that not all PDF's are vector. Definitely not if they are scanned.