Tips for someone who hasn't touched REVIT before...

PotGuy

My company has started training for REVIT today. I'm currently learning the basic, basic basics of REVIT. I've only worked with AutoCAD 2012 in the past.

Can anyone give me useful tips to use while using it, bearing in mind I haven't touched this software before?

Any and all suggestions will be taken on board.

Thank you!

That, Sir, is one useful tip! (No sarcasm)

Been experementing now for about 2-3 hours looking at the AutoCAD 2012 manual. (A man reading a manual...rare?) and some of the abilities available range from interesting to "Oh my word, it can do THAT!?"

There's also the thought process of building a model vs a drawing. Think of it as you're building a house (or building, whatever). Everytime you create a new "View", it's like placing a video camera in that spot. All those video cameras are relaying their video to your sheets.

As you change things in the model, it's updated in the sheets automatically. This can be a double edged sword. It's a time saver when you want to update all sheets; but if you're just trying to fix one little thing, you have to remember where else it might be showing and how your changes will affect that view as well.

For me, being able to build and see the object in my mind, I think helps me at Revit. I take the model in my mind and build it on the computer. Then I create views and sheets that explain my thought processes to others.

Something else that newbies tend to waste their time on: Don't worry about getting stuff exactly correct while you're drawing (say a wall). You don't need to specify lengths exactly (not to mention it's not always going to do what you think is going to happen), so rather just draw to "nearly" the length. You can later place dimensions and change their values (if it's not one of the automatic dims when you select an object). Unlike in ACad, changing a dim's value actually moves the object it dimensioned. Note this only works if you've got the object selected (not the dim).

This is also a potential problem. Say you've got a layout and you've dimensioned stuff on it (say wall setouts). You later work on another level and adjust a wall there (say changing its start level higher) - this might cause the dim on the lower level to be erased since the wall isn't visible there anymore. This scenario of things you do on one view can affect others is definitely a timesaver in most cases - but with the caveat that you must think about what's going to be affected elsewhere due to a change - else you're constantly going to see embarrassing "errors" on your plots.

Other stuff like windows / doors can easily be changed later as well, so as you're drawing a new model, don't worry too much about obtaining / creating the "correct" door/window, just pick one to use as a place holder. You tend to draw more detail only later.

Currently, I'm following the Revit Architecture 2012 manual. It's doing an admirable job and is comprehensive. It's one heck of a learning curve, but it's also an interesting one. Also, when your job depends on you slowly becoming a Jack of Trades, master of one (AutoCAD) then you do get that 'motivation'! :shock: