earthwork volume,cut and fill calculation.

abhalkip

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abhalkip

• eldon

• tmld

• Tyke

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all welcome to the forum.

To be able to do that you need AutoCAD Civil 3D. I don't think that it is possible in AutoCAD 2002. I wouldn't want to do it in 2002.

I had a look at your drawing and it is in 3D, well most of it. It would be possible to do what you want in Civil 3D.

Thanks for the reply.I am very grateful if you can help to calculate the volume for me.

I want to know the correct answer for that dwg so that i can learn to do that in future.

I am using Autocad addon with old survcadd xml.Now the software upgrade to carlson survey.

Thanks again.

From the size of this survey, solving this should take maybe 10 minutes to complete. Label the contour lines, so it is easier to read. It looks like the interval is 1m.

And if you do want to remove the entire hill to 6m, contour lines 6, 7, 8 and 9 should be closed (the ends connect to each other). Otherwise the problem cannot be solved accurately.

The approximate volume can be calculated by hand by finding the area of each contour line from the elevation you want the level down to, and adding them together. I get a cubic meter quantity calc of 10,450 with the open contour lines.

However, you will pay for what is actually hauled away, and that is the more important quantity.

Having looked at the drawing, I would make the following comments.

The contours have been interpolated from the surveyed spot levels. The contours have then been curve fitted to give a "nice" picture. You would get a more accurate calculation of the volume if you used the original spot levels, especially as the contours do not always go outside the boundary, whereas the spot levels do.

There is no exact solution because of the way that different programmes calculate the volume, but using a programme that is written to calculate earthwork volumes is the easiest way to go.

Spot heights shown are taken as in field and are drawn by crds computed using raw file.

I appreciate very much for the explainations.

To tmld: is 10,450 cubic meter the whole volume within the boundary of the lot or volume

of the earth to be removed until the 6m level.

If you can spend another minutes to calculate the cut/fill and show it in the dwg.

Regards.

This is what I get using the original spot levels and Land Desktop.

Be warned that there are 6m high vertical faces on one side, and 3.5m vertical faces on the other side. And no bulking has been taken into account.

VolLot784.jpg

I thank you very much eldon for giving me the complete answer.

So the total volume of the whole lot is 10,371.2m3 am i right.

Can you do me another last one for my comparison later if you are free ok.Lot172 Trusan.dwg

Pls attach the answer like you did above.:D

Note: Land to be level at 13 m

I am sorry, but I am not available for solutions to order. I worked out the volume, so that when you worked it out yourself, it would give you a target to aim for.

This forum tries to point folk in the direction of a solution. Good luck on your search and new-found knowledge.

10,450 m3 is the volume removed to elevation 6m.

The problem with your site is that the contours are not closed, and all I did was look at the area via properties for each contour elevation and add them together. It's the new old school way of doing cut/fill calculations. The old old school way of doing these calcs was with a planimeter on paper plans.

Just to remind you again, your survey was incomplete, and you will be leaving a vertical walls of soil adjacent to the property line. Also, I did not do any fill calculation.

• 4 months later...

Plot Size : 88 M x 55 M

Height : upto 4 Ft.

Can u help me with any formula's for calculating the volume of earth required for filling:unsure:

It might help if you don't mix units (meters for size & feet for height). One or the other should be converted don't you think?

By the way, we have no idea if the site is flat or not. If it isn't then it would be helpful to see a site plan with contours on it.

Sorry, Height is 1.2 M. Could you pl share your id for sending you site drawings.

Thanks

It might help if you don't mix units (meters for size & feet for height). One or the other should be converted don't you think?

By the way, we have no idea if the site is flat or not. If it isn't then it would be helpful to see a site plan with contours on it.

• 6 years later...

i have Autocad copy of land survey with spot heights. i want to cut and fill. i don't whether the volume of cut sand can fill the depressed areas to a required height. Help me with the formula.