Having trouble with CG Tutorials Pillar of computer graphics site - help, please?

AlienBZ

I have already linked you to all the free sites I know of. If you can't find what you're looking for on any of those sites then you're probably going to have to build it yourself, or buy it.

Check Turbosquid if you're interested in purchasing models. Just out of curiosity, I checked and they actually have electric chairs for sale, and jail cells. They probably have a lot of the stuff you're looking for, but you have to be willing to part with some cash. Some of their models are pretty expensive.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AlienBZ

• Cad64

No I don't want to buy these models. I'll make my own. btw, say, I'm working on one of these people models that I've d/l, is there any way to modify its head/hands/feet/clothing, etc to make it look like a Star Wars type of alien?

say, I'm working on one of these people models that I've d/l, is there any way to modify its head/hands/feet/clothing, etc to make it look like a Star Wars type of alien?

In Studio Max? I suppose you could, if you wanted to spend endless hours/days/weeks torturing yourself as you incessantly push vertices around. I would not do character modeling in Studio Max. ZBrush is much better suited for that type of work. But if you can't afford to purchase another program, you can download Sculptris for free. It is very similar to ZBrush. Or you could download Blender for free. It also has sculpting tools for doing organic modeling/sculpting.

But if you do decide to use one of these sculpting programs, you will have to purchase a pen tablet. You can't sculpt with a mouse. It just doesn't work very well. Wacom makes some of the best tablets and they have different sizes with different pricing, so you can get a small "Bamboo" tablet for as little as $79.

In Studio Max? I suppose you could, if you wanted to spend endless hours/days/weeks torturing yourself as you incessantly push vertices around. I would not do character modeling in Studio Max. ZBrush is much better suited for that type of work. But if you can't afford to purchase another program, you can download Sculptris for free. It is very similar to ZBrush. Or you could download Blender for free. It also has sculpting tools for doing organic modeling/sculpting.

But if you do decide to use one of these sculpting programs, you will have to purchase a pen tablet. You can't sculpt with a mouse. It just doesn't work very well. Wacom makes some of the best tablets and they have different sizes with different pricing, so you can get a small "Bamboo" tablet for as little as $79.

Are you talking about using a pen tablet with blender/Sculptris?

Does this mean I'll have to buy blender/Sculptris books (I hope not) now?

Are my max files compatible with blender/Sculptris and vice versa?

I have an apple ipad, but no pen. Does this mean I'll have to buy another tablet computer (I hope not)?

That Bamboo tablet/pen for $80 (now that I followed the link) isn't exactly another tablet PC, it's rather an input device (had to look this up in one of my schoolbooks) that sends your sketches right into the computer, and that price is just right for me. I have to wait several months down the road to buy it, though, b/c right now I have to pay for school (training to be computer tech/schoolbooks = my paying job eventually), this art stuff is only a hobby for me, and I wish to keep it that way. Since I'll be going to school all summer as well, the longest time that I can wait to buy this tablet is August, although I hope to be able to buy it sooner than that.

Edited by AlienBZ

Are you talking about using a pen tablet with blender/Sculptris?

Does this mean I'll have to buy blender/Sculptris books (I hope not) now?

Are my max files compatible with blender/Sculptris and vice versa?

I have an apple ipad, but no pen. Does this mean I'll have to buy another tablet computer (I hope not)?

Yes, you will need a pen tablet for sculpting in Blender or Sculptris. Pen tablets operate using pressure sensitivity which is necessary for sculpting. The pressure sensitivity allows you to have control over how heavy or light your stroke is on the model. You can't get that from a mouse. With a mouse, the pressure is always constant, so you have no control over how heavy or light your stroke is as you move your brush across the model. Your Ipad will not work for this. You will need a pen tablet. The small ones are very affordable though.

You will need to get some sort of training material for any new programs you use. That Blender book looks like it is probably pretty good. There are also lots of free training videos on the Blender website: http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/

You will have to export your Studio Max models as .obj format in order to work on them in Blender/Sculptris. Then, in order to get them back into Studio Max, you will have to export them as .obj format from Blender/Sculptris.

btw, doesn't the local (I live in West Mifflin) Best Buy/Office Depot/Walmart have one of these tablet/pens for sale?

EDIT - just checked Best Buy's website, they have them, but they cost $99 and up. So, I'm going to go with the link to the one you gave me (thanx!).

EDIT 2 - Does this pen that comes with that tablet that you linked me include interchangible nibs (felt/pen/brush, etc)?

found the bamboo tablet/pen at best buy's website, it costs $100.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wacom+-+Bamboo+Capture+Pen+and+Tablet+-+Silver/Black/3441419.p?id=1218402882966&skuId=3441419&st=tablet%20and%20pen&cp=1&lp=5#tab=overview

it doesn't look like that pen has interchangeable nibs, guess i'll have to keep the tablet (once i buy it) and upgrade the pen only?

EDIT - just checked Best Buy's website, they have them, but they cost $99 and up. So, I'm going to go with the link to the one you gave me (thanx!).

EDIT 2 - Does this pen that comes with that tablet that you linked me include interchangible nibs (felt/pen/brush, etc)?

You will always end up paying more when you buy from a chain store like Best Buy. Always buy direct whenever possible. Or check Amazon and Ebay. You can sometimes get them cheaper there.

Yes, the pens come with several interchangeable nibs, and you can purchase more if necessary. https://www.wacom.com/store/accessories/nibs-and-ink-refills

it doesn't look like that pen has interchangeable nibs, guess i'll have to keep the tablet (once i buy it) and upgrade the pen only?

The pen should have a replaceable nib, but if not, you can buy different pens.

Found what looks like a nice website for d/l textures (incl. human skin/hair) for my models, I've already d/l some with no trouble - what do you think of this website?

I'm assuming these textures are free to use as you want (just like these models I've d/l) and use in my movies that I'm hoping to host on my website?

http://www.mb3d.co.uk/mb3d/Plastic_Seamless_and_Tileable_High_Res_Textures.html

Just now I tried opening some of these people models to work with the cloth modifier, but when I try to open (this happened with nearly all of these people models that I d/l,) all but only 2 of them were real (opened without error message). When I tried to open these other models they're just a bunch of folders within folders with no file at the end (fake model), and I get a message onscreen when I try to open them in max, message says "path name\name of model\a bunch of question marks-max2009-a3-223.max not found, or it is not a valid 3ds max file. please verify that the correct file name was given." message has an "ok" button.

Why would there be fake models hosted on these websites that are stickied here on this site?

Could anyone please help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT - Found these are not fake models - max was looking for *.max files, but when I selected "all files" I found these files that max did not see when it was set to *.max. So sorry!

Edited by AlienBZ

Ok, now that I found these models that I d/l are in fact real models, now I'll have to find a way to get around that error message when trying to open these files, so it looks like I'll have to somehow tell max to verify these files - how do I do this?

Why would there be fake models hosted on these websites that are stickied here on this site?

We are not responsible for any content hosted on other sites. If you are having trouble with downloaded content from those sites, please contact the webmaster of those sites.

Ok, now that I found these models that I d/l are in fact real models, now I'll have to find a way to get around that error message when trying to open these files, so it looks like I'll have to somehow tell max to verify these files - how do I do this?

What file format are these models and how are you trying to get them into Max? Studio Max will only open .max files, all other file types have to be imported. Check the import options list to see what type of files can be imported. If you have a model in a file format that is not shown in the import list, you cannot import it.

• 6 months later...

Cad64:

I just bought this tablet bamboo tablet.jpg this afternoon and I also

ordered this book

**here**

the book is being shipped to the house from the local barnes & noble warehouse.

Did I buy the right tablet and order the right book for sculpting these free 3D Poser models (using Blender) that I d/l from the sites that are linked to from this board?

I also have Blender.

Right after I bought this tablet I installed the software (called Bamboo Dock) onto my PC (windows XP). Did I do the right thing or do I need extra stuff to modify these models using that book, Blender, and this tablet?

Can I also use Blender and this tablet to sculpt say, these 3DS Max free sofa, chair, etc models that I've d/l from these sites linked to from this board?

I don't know anything about the book, but the description does say it covers box modeling, poly-by-poly modeling, sculpting, retopologizing, normal mapping, etc. So it should be ok. And yes, that tablet will work fine for sculpting. You will just have to get used to the fact that as you're drawing on the tablet you will be looking at your monitor, not the tablet. There's a bit of a disconnect at first and it takes a little getting used to.

I don't know how much luck you will have trying to modify the models you downloaded though. Why do you want to modify them anyway? You would be better off just creating your own models from scratch. It will be faster and easier than trying to modify existing models.